Part nine

"Happy Independence day dad." I smile at him wearing my new outfit.

"Hey lion. Happy fourth of July." He grins using my childhood nickname and offering me a fruit tart.. I gladly take a apple one. Today for fourth of July they invited all the families of the people at the boys and girls club to the beach for a barbecue and fireworks. I'm pretty excited to meet Raelyns parents.

"I'm so excited to meet Raelyns parents." I tell him bouncily.

"I'm sure they'll love you. As long as you brush you're mane." He points to my wild dysfunctional hair. This is where my nickname comes from.

"Hahaha." I joke rolling my eyes.

"But don't forget to call youre mom today. It is youre guys first summer apart." He says simpley. I always question if my parents really wanted a divorce. They both still care about Each other. But then when I see my dad look at Cora.... He has a different look of love then he ever did with my mom.

That night we all squeeze into the van my family has and ride to the beach. I quickly spot out Raelyn wearing a red and white striped tank top with little blue stars on it, and a navy blue cotton skirt. I wave to her, cause her eyes to instantly light up.

"Darcy come meet my parents!" She urges grabbing my hand. She leads me over to two young parents one holding a three year old toddler. They both looked young but aged.

"Mom, dad this is Darcy." She says proudly

"Darcy! Its so nice to meet you. Thank you for everything you've done this summer."

"Well... Its all through Gods glory." I shrug. The both look at me blankly. I don't think I've asked Raelyn if their saved or not.

"Thats my little brother, Kenneth." Raelyn senses the awkwardness. "And I have a little sister whose five. But shes playing by the water. Her name is Reagan" She points to a girl in the distance I can tell shes wearing the same outfit as her.

"Very cute." I nod.

"So Darcy how old are you?" The dad asks casually.

"I'm sixteen."

"And you live pretty close to us I assume."

"Oh no. I Live in Georgia. I'm just here for the summer."

"Ooohh... Does Raelyn know that?" The mom asks worriedly.

"Yes I've told her a few times. I leave August 19th."

"Well.... As long as shes okay with it. But then again we doubt she'll make it past this summer anyway." They say lightly.

"What do you mean?"

"Well with her sickness. The doctors don't think she has much time left. Which is why we signed her up for this program. Hoping she can enjoy her time."

"Shes sick?"

"Didn't she tell you?" The mom asks wide eyed.

"No.... She has cancer?"

"Brain cancer."

"But she has hair."

"We chose not to give her treatments."

"Shes youre daughter! How could you not?" I ask warily.

"Its worst to watch her live her life in a hospital. We chose to let her live her life to the fullest outside of it."

"Thats understandable... I have to go." I excuse myself politely. Letting the tears escape only when I'm far enough away.

So I did convice the guy Gavin to go to the fourth of July barbecue with me. This is purely my attempt to make Mercer jealous. But Gavin think it means something. Luckily he jumps when I say jump so now hes busy fetching me napkins while I glare a hole in Mercers head. After our dinner of hotdogs the kids of the youth group play a few games. The girl verses boy ones to kick off the lock down.