Part four

Dear Darcy-

So far summer has not fallen into my plans. My brother, my oh so innocent brother, has a girlfriend. That lives with him. Like really. Your not married. Don't do it. Please be smarter than my brother this summer. On top of that. The pastors son, is a complete and utter jerk. (In the nicest way possible) but for real. He thinks he knows everything about me and I have to spend all summer with him! Ugh! Well anyway. I hope your having a better time in sunny California.

Yours Always Blaire

"So this barbecue today?" Mercer starts. Leaning over me at the desk. He's referring to the kick off summer barbecue that their group does every year.

"It starts at five." I mumble

"I know what time it starts." He sighs dropping his pen on my desk to bug me.

"Then what do you need?" I jut my elbow into his side. Hadn't he heard of personal space? Geez

"Well. This will be you're first time meeting everyone. So I'm making you an offer. But think before you act because its rare that I make an offer with anyone." He backs up slowly.

"Oh tell me. I must know this deal." I exclaim sarcastically.

"So, since you won't know anyone, I'm offering to take you under my wing, ever so generously, and let you hang around me all night, and meet all my friends. And so its not awkward for you, you may even refer to me as your date, or something among those lines."

"Are you for real?" I glare at him.

"One hundred percent."

"I think I'll pass. But thanks for your oh so generous offer."

"Snaps. Well don't look for me when your wandering around alone tonight." He tsk

"I'm a great people person. Don't worry."

"Sure you are. I'm only gonna chase for so long. Then its up to you."

That night at the Barbecue theres a good five hundred kids. I spend the first half putting on wristbands on kids. Then around seven I was free to hang out and get to know everyone. I met a few nice people. But others were stiff. Maybe I shouldve took mercers offer so I have someone to hang with. But when I look over he has his arm draped over one girls shoulders, and talking to a bunch of guys with skateboards. Skaters are really not my cup of coffee.

Well... I don't have a cup of coffee... I prefer tea... No thats a lie. I love coffee. How else do I survive life? But thats besides the point. I think the thing with Mercer is that deep down I know that I may like him. But I can't like someone whose immature, and thinks they know everything about me when they don't. Really I have no clue where I'm going with this and that scares me. I always know where I'm going... But with him. I don't.

"Do I have to do this?" I whine to my father that morning. I was sitting on a bar stool at the counter scooping lucky charms into my mouth.

"You made a commitment. Yes you do."

"But I don't like kids. And having to hang around one all summer is not my forte" I wave my spoon around as I talk causing milk to splatter and my step mom to glare at me. I shrug it off and take another bite.

"You like us!" One of my step brothers says.

"I kinda have to like you guys. Its like by default. Your my brothers."

"Darcy, you never know you'll like it if you don't try it. Its just three months, if you discover you don't like it you'll never have to do it again."

"But if it kills me in the process?"

"I guarantee you'll survive."

"Darcy go get ready. Kelsey said you guys have to be there at ten." Cora points out to me. I sigh placing my bowl in the dishwasher, before jogging upstairs to change. I decide on wearing a simple tye-dye sundress and flipflops. Its not fancy. Just chill. I pull my hair back into a claw clip and swipe some lipgloss on.