Part two

~~ Kailee~~

I step off the bus as I arrive at the christian kids camp, Lake Monticello, in Virginia. The camp counselor orientation was starting in five minutes, so I was right on time. Perfect. I send a quick text to Blaire, Darcy and my dad saying I made it and that the area is beautiful.

"Counselors, lets get going inside. Two minutes." Shouts a girl, maybe in her twenties, wearing a red shirt, that says monticello in white script.

I follow the crowd inside the main hall. Theres rows of cushioned black chairs, after I get my welcome folder, I take a seat in the third row.

"Good after noon guys. Were going to go over the basics. Campers arrive on wednesday, thats in two days. So we'll start by going over everything you need to know about running a group, then tonight we'll have some team building activities because here, were family." The camp director starts "So each cabin has, ten to twelve kids. They'll be arranged by gender and group. Two counslers per cabin. Heres your cabins." I listen to the guy, whose also wearing a Monticello shirt read off assignments. I quickly do the math. Theres about forty counselors then. The cabins are organized by age. Starting at ten and goes to fifteen. "Kailee Cauvery, and Reah Walsh, Cabin 6."

I stand up and head to the the guys Assistant, whose giving out the rosters and cabin information.

"Kailee?" Another girl, whom I'm assuming is Reah asks

"Ya. Nice to meet you." She plucks both our folders from the girls hands and leads me out to our cabin. "You've been here before?" I ask since she seems to know what shes doing. She has black curly hair and light milky ebony skin.

"Ya. This is my second year. Its so fun. This is our cabin." She opens the creaky door in one corner are two single beds. Our I assume. Then theres six sets of bunk beds spaced through out the cabin. In the back theres a long mirror that covers the wall, smart. Theres cubbies style closets on either side of the mirror, one for each girl. Then theres a door that leads to the bathroom where theres three showers and toliets. Inside theres also cubby holes for each girl. Theres also a two desks in the cabin.

And me and Reah also each have a two drawer dresser. "Were supposed to assign the closets and cubbies ahead of time." Reah hands me a pack of white labels and a black sharpie

"Why?"

"Suprisingly, they fight over them. All the girls want either the closet closest to the bathroom or farthest away for more privacy." She takes out the roster of kids we will have. Eleven kids. Age thirteen. This could be interesting. Ah Jr. High. That was a rough year.

"How come some girls names are highlighted?"

"Uh. Hardship. That means they have a story, and we'll need to watch them a little more carefully." She says as she sticks the plastic labels in the cubbys. "So tell me about you"

"Oh. I'm Kailee. I'm from Georgia. I'm seventeen. My dads a writer for the Georgia state paper. I'm an only child. I will start my Senior year this year. Thats about it."

"What about your mom?"

"Oh... She passed away about six years ago." I say quietly.

"Oh" Reah looks up from her current task. "Sorry to hear that."

"Its okay. What about you?"

"Well. I live here in Virginia. A couple hours away. My Moms a teacher at a christian school and my dads a child psychologist. So I guess I get my heart for all this from them. I have a younger brother and a older sister. I graduated last week. So I'll start college in the fall. I'm eighteen."