Fallen Angel

The plan has been reconfigured upon Tabane's suggestion. Now, standing on a boulder overlooking a small pool, Houki was on standby. Extending an arm that had her IS figure, she deployed Akatsubaki.

"I'm just curious, but do the top brass know that Professor Shinonono is here right now?" Yamada asked in a low voice. Not low enough for you to miss it however.

"I'll inform them later, but stopping that IS is our top priority." Chifuyu answered.

"Alright Houki! Unfolding armor activate!"

Glowing armor unfolded as the name implied around the IS.

"Unfolding armor is now standard to all fourth generation IS models. To put it in simple terms, the Akatsubaki is the next evolutionary step of the Yukihera Nagata!"

"The next step?" Houki echoed.

"That's right! And I used unfolding armor for the unit's entire body! Yahoo!" Tabane let a pause for effect happen before she spoke further. "Hey! I bet things running amuck by the ocean really remind you of that White Knight incident huh?"

"Uh-I!" Chifuyu started. Such a reaction from her grabbed your attention. That was not like her.

"Hehe! And who was inside that White Knight, huh Chi-Chan?" Tabane asked Chifuyu.

"I have no idea." Chifuyu replied through gritted teeth.

"Well I'll bet it was someone with a 35 inch bust line!"

WHACK!

"Ohhhh! That's so cruel Chi-Chan! You split poor Miss Tabane's brain right in two!" Tabane massaged where she had taken a book to the head. Well given she was bringing up body measurements for presumably Chifuyu, that was well deserved.

"Well isn't that nice! Now the left half of your brain will be able to take turns thinking with the right half!" Chifuyu snapped, albeit with a tint of red on the face.

"Good one! Yay! You're so smart Chi-Chan!" Tabane wrapped her arms around the unwilling woman.

"Let's get back on topic!" Chifuyu grunted, shoving Tabane away. "Okay super genius, how long until adjustments to the Akatsubaki are finished?"

Cecilia seemed to interject, pitching her desire to be up front on this op. But that did not matter as you put two and two together. Tabane bringing up the White Knight incident and Chifuyu's defensive reactions had an obvious implication. Chifuyu was the one piloting the White Knight during the incident? She was the one taking out ICBM's plus contending with fighters and carrier battle groups?

"The mission brief is Orimura and Shinonono will engage the Gospel! She drives, he shoots! Let's blow that thing away people!" Chifuyu declared. It did little to stop your thoughts. Was this whole thing not looking rather convenient too? An IS goes rogue right as Tabane debuts the fourth generation for her little sister?

"(L/n), are you dozing off?"

You went back to reality to find Chifuyu staring at you.

"Sensei, what's the contingency plan?"

"Come again?"

"No plan survives first contact the enemy. What then?"

"Worry about being sidelined later. We're sticking to the plan." Chifuyu said within earshot of everyone else as they were walking to their positions. Once they were clear, she spoke again.

"Play dumb for now. You're right about plans and how they usually don't go well, but it is what it is. Listen, Shinonono is getting overly excited, and in that frame of mind, she can make fatal mistakes. If anything happens, get up there and lend support."