The Little Things Are Painful

Chapter 4

No One's

For the rest of the day Kai slept and the ninja trained preparing for the "danger" that was to come. Nya looked over her Samurai X suit to see if it remained in good condition. As the ninja trained every once and a while they would look down the hallway where the bedroom door sat. After a while the ninja went to retire to bed as did Nya and their Sensei.

During the night, Zane stayed up watching over not only Kai but everyone. Being a nindroid he didn't need sleep. Zane's functions eventually grew slow and he fell in a pleasant sleep. Zane drifted to a dreamless sleep in the last hour of the night.

Zane woke up suddenly to the sound of weight shifting. In the chair he uncrossed his legs and his head came off his hand. Zane opened his eyes quickly and turned his head to see that Kai was awake. Zane smiled at the tired fire ninja.

"Hello Kai." Zane whispered and Kai rubbed his eyes.

"Hey." Kai said and brought his legs to touch the floor. Kai looked to his brother and Zane could immediately find the emotions he felt. Zane felt the sadness, confusion, anger, and terror in Kai. Zane sighed.

"Can we talk?" Zane more ordered than asked and Kai stood up understanding that the room they were currently in could wake four others. Zane started to walk to the bathroom and Kai froze at the door. "What is wrong Kai?"

"I don't like this room." Kai answered quietly and had his head down staring at the floor. Zane felt the terror in Kai grow.

"Please Kai, I understand. Come talk to me." Zane whispered and held out a hand. Kai slowly lifted his head and Zane saw a tear escape Kai's eye. Kai took Zane's hand and walked in. Zane closed the door with his free hand and put it on Kai's shoulder. "Tell me everything that happened again, slowly and calmly my brother. I need to know what happened yesterday as well."

Kai released Zane's hand and looked at the floor again. Kai let out a long breath he was holding from when he walked in. Kai backed up to the wall and sat against it. Kai looked at the floor ignoring Zane's gaze. Kai was silent and Zane got on his knees in front of Kai.

"Are you alright?" Zane asked and put a hand on Kai's knee. Kai was still silent and Zane was patience with him. Kai's expression changed to anger and the terror lessoned. Kai made fists.

"Leave me alone.." Kai nearly whispered and Zane was taken back. Zane removed his hand form Kai's knee.

"What?" Zane questioned in surprise. Kai was still looking at the floor and Zane was stunned by the way his expression quickly changed.

"Get out off my head!" Kai shouted and gripped his hair. Zane quickly covered Kai's mouth.

"Do you want to wake the other?!" Zane whispered shouted at Kai. Kai looked up at Zane and his face changed from anger to terror again.

"Do you hear it?" Kai whispered. Zane thought for a minute and listened to the silence.

"I hear nothing my brother. What are you hearing?" Zane put his hands on Kai's and removed them from his hair.

"A voice. It keep telling me to look in the mirror. . . Saying I can't leave. . I-I can't escape." Kai said and Zane was shocked. He was about to respond but Kai opened his mouth first. "I am starting to think I should look."

Zane breathed slowly, "Kai it is your decision not mine."

Kai nodded lightly and Zane stood. Kai sat still and Zane walked to the mirror. He looked in and stared. Staring. Staring. Zane stopped looking and turned to Kai. Kai sat crossed legs and staring into space.

Zane looked back to the mirror and placed a hand on it. Zane's hand went hot from the touch of the mirror. Zane shot is hand back and turned to Kai who was staring right at him with red eyes.

"Kai . . ." Zane whispered softly and Kai stood up. Kai walked to Zane and his hand snapped to Zane's silver neck. Kai attempted to choke Zane and Kai's eyes remained red.

"Perhaps you forgot I do not need to run on air." Zane said and pushed Kai away with his foot. Kai stumbled back and Zane noticed Kai's eyes flash from red to normal and back to red. Zane knew his friend wasn't in control and he couldn't hurt Kai. "Kai fight it."

Kai frowned and stood up straight. Kai walked up to Zane and Zane raised his hands as in defeat not wanting to injury his already injured friend. Kai turned away from Zane and looked into the mirror. Zane knew by the whole scene and how Kai was. It was not good for him to look in the mirror.

What triggered Kai to look in the mirror was touching the mirror. Meaning destroying the mirror wouldn't be easy if keeping the sanity of their friend was important.

Kai breathed out and his body slouched. He closed his eyes and have a minute he lifted his head.

"What happened?" Kai asked and Zane walked to his side. Zane put a hand on Kai's shoulder.

"You tried to choke me." Zane said with a small smirk and Kai huffed.

"Pfft- everyone knows nindroids don't run on air." Kai stated.

"As I said brother." Zane said and Kai sighed.

"I'm sorry." Kai said and Zane looked at him. Kai was avoiding the mirror. "Oh my goodness can you shut up for one minute!"

Kai gripped the counter with one hand and looked down at the floor. Kai put the other hand on his head.

"Can.. we get out of here?" Kai asked and Zane knew the voice in Kai's head must be annoying him.

"Yes. We will have to tell the other what happened and before that will have to prepare breakfast before Cole wakes up." Zane said and the two left the bathroom. The ice and fire ninja didn't notice the mirror was left behind with a red glowing hand print where Zane pressed his hand.