A challenge, a chance

AN: Priyanka and Mahi met in 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To say he was disappointed in himself would be a small statement. The entire Bangladesh series he played terribly. Lost his chance in the first ODI against Pakistan too. Every wonderful person in his life had worked very hard for him to get here. He had battled through numerous hurdles to reach here, a dream he had not even dreamt. And for some horrible reason, now he was feeling out of his depth, for the first time in a long while he felt unsure of himself. He didn't tell that to anyone, verbalizing his problems just made them seem bigger to him.

With Priyanka, he didn't need to. He didn't need to do anything at all for her to instantly know what to say. He didn't need to express the love he was scared to feel, for her to stay. He knew she deserved better. He knew the amount of inattention he gave to her infront of cricket was unfair to her. But she didn't leave him despite having no name for the relationship they shared. She had infact become the one person apart from his mother, who knew what he needed when. So that day when he called her, hoping to distract himself for a bit, she lightly told him off for distracting himself from his one true love.

Mahi huffed a laugh, "How do you even know what I am thinking?".

"I know you Mahendra Singh Dhoni," she laughed back, "You are an open book. Just that people don't know how to read,".

Mahi leaned against the headboard smiling, listening to her talk was easily one of his favorite things.

"Mahi," she said gently, "You need to talk to someone about your game if you are stressed,".

"What do I have you for then?".

"To love obviously," she laughed sensing his discomfort, "You get so stressed. Never change Mahi,".

"Just right now you were telling me to talk when I am stressed, now you are telling me not to change? Women these days," he tried to distract her from pulling his leg.

"Boys these days, can't even verbalize their problems, need to be macho and cry internally all the time,".

"Priyanka ouch. Ouch, I am hurt. My heart hurts, its bleeding,".

They both laughed before falling into silence.

"Pri?"

"Yes Mahi?"

"You are amazing you know that right?"

She laughed knowing what he wanted to say, "I love you too Mahi. You got this okay? Now keep the call before you run out of money. Bye".

"Bye,". he hung up and stared at the phone with an absent smile on his face. He owed her so much. He made up his mind to win for her if not for himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saurav was sitting with Jammy and Sach on the terrace, just hanging out and occasionally talking about cricket. It was getting a bit late and they had a match tomorrow, but it was just one of those beautiful nights that needed to be experienced. Right now the conversation had slowly turned to Mahi, their newest addition.

"What do you think about him, just generally?" He asked his partners.

"I think he is very observant. A little too reserved but he listens to every word as if it is of great value. I think he just needs the right moment, he does so well in practice, he just needs his moment," Sachin answered.

"He is also a very fast learner," Jammy added. A small smile appeared on his face as he thought about the kid, "He is very sweet too. I haven't heard him speak in a loud voice with even Yuv. That human has the capability of getting under my nerves and that is saying something. I hope he gets his moment soon, a little confidence maybe would make him open up to us,".

Saurav hmmed in agreement. He did need a proper chance, a challenge.

"Come on guys, it's getting late. Off to bed," he stood up beckoning at them to follow.

"Yes boss," they mock saluted him.

He saw them off to their rooms before making his way to Mahi's room. He did not expect it to be open or Mahi to be awake but the door wasn't locked and the man in question was sitting lost in thoughts, staring at his phone.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Mahi immediately stood up, startled.

"Dada, aap?"

Saurav gave an exasperated smile, "No need to jump out of your skin,".

He came in closed the door and sat on the bed, beckoning Mahi to do the same. Mahi sat cautiously.

"What were you thinking about?"

Mahi blushed, "Nothing Dada,".

Saurav hmmed and looked away, wanting to push but not wanting to make him uncomfortable. Mahi shifted on the bed a couple of times, wanting to say something but keeping his silence.

"I won't eat you Mahi," he sighed, keeping a hand on the kids head, "I didn't ask you to call me Dada for nothing. I am your brother here, if you aren't comfortable then just as another player, as your captain, your senior, I have a responsibility towards you,".

Mahi shook his head immediately, "No, no Dada I am not uncomfortable. It is more of a me problem," he sighed trying to get his words to flow, "I don't know how to start saying what I want to say,".

"Just start in the middle, wherever you want".

Mahi looked outside the window. Stars were very bright that night. He wished he could shine like them. He looked back at his captain who was intently staring at him.

"I know what mistakes I am making out there. I know where I go wrong, I know where I need to improve," he exhaled trying to find the right sentence, "I just don't know why I am failing to apply everything when I am out there. I know I play better than this, but somehow everything messes up,".

Saurav hmmed again, he had needed just that, a little peak at the boy's understanding of the game.

"You are going in at number three tomorrow,".

Mahi spluttered, "Wha- No- What about you Dada?".

"I will go at four beta, what's the big deal. You haven't gotten a fair chance Mahi, you do have it in you. Just remember there is a right moment to everything, you just need to time it perfectly,".

Mahi bowed 'his head, "Thank you Dada. I don't deserve this. I won't fail you, I promise,".

Saurav smiled at him, Jammy was right, he was a very sweet kid.

"I know you won't sweetheart," he ruffled the long hair, "Mahi?"

"Yes Dada?"

"You got this,".

Mahi nodded back, intensely hanging on to his every word. The captain smiled at his sincerity. He really did want to squish the hell out of his face, but Saurav was a grown up now, he can't go around bullying young boys. Still he couldn't resist giving his cheek a small pull.

"Go to sleep now, it is late,".

"Yes Dada,".

He walked out of the room, switching lights off behind him. It was going to be a big day tomorrow.