Chapter 1: Missing Mice.

Mikayla, nine years old. 

Kellan, ten years old.

Mikayla's POV.

As soon as Mum parked her car in the garage, I opened the car door and jumped out of the SUV, I pushed the door shut and sprinted into the house.

"Kayla, slow down!" Shouted my Mum from inside the car but I didn't slow down, infact, I ran even faster.

I hadn't fed Victor since the previous night, I was gonna do it that morning but then Mum said she was going to the salon and I insisted on going with her because the people there styled my curls better than Mum and Mrs Gomez combined together.

I thought we'd only be gone for a little while but I ended up spending the entire afternoon in the back of the SUV because my mother liked spending money, and boy did she spend it.

I yanked the refrigerator doors open, tiptoeing as my eyes wildly searched for anything that could fill Victor's tiny stomach.

Someone towered over me from behind, reaching their large hand inside the fridge and fishing out a triangle shaped piece of cheese wrapped in plastic packaging.

My father lowered it to me and I desperately took it out of his hand.

"Thank you!" I shouted as I ran towards the staircase, I climbed the never ending stairs, almost missing a step and falling on my face, "I'm okay!" I announced and I heard my Dad's deep chuckle behind me.

I stormed into my Frozen themed bedroom, jogging to the little cage where I kept Victor.

It was open and empty.

I screamed and dropped the cheese on my fluffy light blue carpet.

I hurried to my open window, it hadn't been open when I left the room which meant that someone had released Victor and opened the window for him to escape.

My eyes scanned our backyard, there was no sign of little Victor but then my eyes shifted to our neighbors backyard, they had just moved in a week ago, I hoped that little Victor hadn't gone that far cause our neighbor's house was more massive than ours and he'd easily get lost there.

Then my head snapped to the ocean.

Oh, no, not the ocean.

What if he ran there and drowned?

Could mice even swim?

I had no idea but even if they could, I didn't want Victor to go into the ocean, I hated the ocean, it took my brother Patrick.

"I heard a scream." My Dad spoke behind me, I spun around and faced him.

"Someone opened Victor's Cage." I pointed my finger at the open cage.

He palmed his mouth in shock, he didn't like Victor but he knew how much Victor meant to me.

"I think he went outside." I frowned, my chest squeezed and tears burned my eyes, begging to fall.

"Ah, shit." Dad strode to the cage, placing his hands on his knees to take a closer look.

"Daddy, that's a bad word." The tears now blurred my vision and I wiped them out of my eyes.