Chapter 10: Gaslighting.

Kellan's POV.

My mum was born and raised in Preston Grove, she barely talked about her time there, she'd only talk about it when she was drunk and angry.

I didn't like seeing her in that state so I always avoided being near her but I had grown to realize that she talked about it because Preston Grove used to be her peace.

Preston Grove was where my Mom attended high school, fell in love for the first time and then later met her husband.

She always had this priceless smile whenever she talked it, it made me want to know the place.

I had been going to Preston Grove ever since I came back from London just to.... I don't know, maybe I wanted to know her better and understand her choices but there was no trace of her relatives.

She had introduced me to her sister three months before she passed but I never heard from her, she didn't even come to the funeral, it wasn't like I was expecting her to attend either, there was that tension between them, like something big happened in the passed.

There was a restaurant that had my mum's picture hung up on their wall, she was wearing a waitress uniform which told me that she had worked there.

Asking people would have officially labeled my behavior as an investigation and I really didn't want it to go there but then I asked the restaurant manager for a copy of the picture on their wall and he told me a little something about her days as a teenager, I asked more questions and he referred me to a man called Ryan Cole.

I didn't have to ask who that was, I already knew.

I once met Ryan Cole when I was nine, he brought my Mom home in his pick up truck, she was wasted and whispered his name the entire time, my Dad punched him in the face for no reason, or so I thought, I'd guessed that Ryan Cole was more than a nice guy who offered my Mom a ride home.

Guess I was right.

My father didn't approve of a lot of things but my father really wouldn't have approved of me visiting Ryan Cole.

But did I care?

Of course not.

I was descending down the stairs when I saw Marcus and Mik striding inside the house, I slowed my pace when my eyes landed on Mik.

She wasn't wearing anything elegant like she always had, she was just in denim shorts, cropped tank top and flip flops but fuck, my heart did a quick backflip at the sight.

Marcus was the first to notice me, Mik also looked up and she immediately smiled.

I liked thinking that my presence made her smile.

I met them at the landing and squinted my eyes at the grocery bags they were both holding.

"You went shopping?" I directed my question to Mik.

Marcus had barely said anything to me since I returned, he was mean and constantly told me to stay away from Mik.

Asshole behavior.

"Yeah, for the party," she was still smiling up at me, I looked at her all confused, "Kellz, I told you about it yesterday," she released an amused laugh.

"Yeah but you didn't tell me it was going to be in this house," I pointed out.

"Well, now you know," Marcus faked a smile, I ignored him.

"Mr Wesley approved of this?" I asked Mik, shoving my hands in my pockets.

"He'll be off the island for two days and his fianceé said it was cool for us to throw a party," she beamed.