Chapter Three - Countdown

Y/N's POV: 
It's been two weeks since I had that chat with River in my room that day. Although I hate to admit that I wasn't fond of her at first. Now it's seems like we've spent half our lives together. The TARDIS has that effect on people, I guess.

River seems to have known the Doctor much longer than I have, although it's fun to have someone else around to make jokes about that silly bowtie the Doctor sports.

We've tried but he just won't give that goddamn thing up.

Anyways. It's getting close to New Year's Eve now, and the Doctor is planning to take us all to this space party a few galaxies away to celebrate.
River even convinced the Doctor to buy bunting to hang around the console room of the TARDIS to help set the mood.

I've never really celebrated New Year's back home. I just bought myself a takeaway and spent the night flopped out on the sofa watching EastEnders on the TV.. but this year I know it's gonna be different. I'm with friends, that's a first.

(New Year's Eve)
It's finally New Year's Eve, and we're putting up the bunting in the TARDIS. Who could have thought that putting up colourful cardboard flags could cause such an argument between both River and the Doctor? It's like a squabble between an old married couple. I chuckled whilst I admired our handy-work by the door.
"Wow. Not too bad I must say." River exclaimed. The Doctor gave her a sideways glance. "Mmm..the TARDIS has looked better." He replied.
"Well, it's good enough for me" River grinned and headed towards her bedroom to get ready.

Giving the Doctor a friendly nod, I headed through the parallel corridor. I followed it through until I found my room at the end. I entered through the doorway and walked towards my wardrobe. I stood there in silence, occasionally pulling out a sparkly dress or a denim skirt and placing it on the bed behind me.  After I sorted out what seemed like a battlefield of clothes, I decided on a simple halter-neck top, a leather skirt and black fishnets to finish the look. Oh, and a pair of Doc Martens of course.
Satisfied, I hastily threw all the clothes that were scattered around my room back into the wardrobe.
There. That looks better. I grin and head back into the console room to meet the Doctor and River.

"How do I look?" I grin as I playfully flick my hair back behind my shoulder. "Stunning, sweetie" River replied with a smirk. She was clad in her favourite silver sequinned dress with the black skirt. To say she was stunning was the least. The Doctor was wearing a black suit, a top hat and another one of his award-winning bowties.
"Lose the top-hat, dear" River remarked as she gently took the hat off his head and placed it on the chair behind her. "What! No! I wear top-hats now. Top hats are cool!" The Doctor cried out.
"No. Just no" I laughed.

A few minutes pass before we all head out the TARDIS doors arm-in-arm - with the Doctor's top-hat back on his head. River groaned.

"Saying we look cool would be an understatement" The Doctor grinned. River laughs. "Shame your wearing that then." She smirks and winked at me. I chuckled at her remark.
We enter the party and sit down at one of the tables there. There were so many different species - just minding their own business. I smiled as I looked around the bar.
After a few drinks, the Doctor ran towards a man on one of the bar stools. Jack Harkness was his name I believe? The Doctor left in such a hurry to greet his old friend, neither me of River could make out what he said.

I sipped my drink slowly, unsure what to say - River and I rarely spend any time alone together. We've always relied on the Doctor to get the conversations going. River smiled awkwardly before rising to her feet. "Another drink?" she gestured, keen to break the silence. "Please." I accept gratefully. 
I watched as she swayed her hips as she walked away, admiring the way she could balance perfectly in her heels. That was a talent by itself. I studied the way her hair bounced as she halted at the bar counter, and started to sway again as she turned around and headed towards me with our drinks. I snapped back to reality and took the drink from her. "Thanks" I smiled at her.