Rumours and Tears

Numb. Rose couldn't even really feel that. It was like she was empty, couldn't bring herself t actually feel anything. Summoning all the self-control she could muster, she walked away. She didn't even stop when Lissa called after her. Her feet lead her to the gym in a haze. Dimitri should've been surprised at her being a few steps ahead of him on her way to the gym, early for their session for the first time without his being with her. Knowing she liked their extra sessions and evening the playing field with her fellow novices regarding combat, he'd put it down to that. 

If he were paying attention to the gossip he heard her name mentioned in, things may have been different. Her face had showed she was sad and upset, but he attributed that to her feelings on Lissa's situation, either learning about the latest animal incident, or the Queen's words. Trying to distance himself from her on a personal level, he didn't like how his feelings for her were only growing stronger, that she brought things out of him that were making him question his sense of duty and responsibility. This meant he was also ignoring his grandmothers' words before he left for this post: Follow your heart when it contradicts your mind and all will be as it must. He still did not truly understand the warning but was almost positive she was referring to the feelings for Rose that she must have dreamt about.

"You need to keep your wrist straight and a slight bend at the knees or you'll end up hurting yourself" Dimitri warned. Rose put all her strength in the hits, but sloppy technique would only lead to injury and her missing more training while she heals. Still stuck in her whirling emotions, she corrected the technique and everything else she sensed she was doing wrong and returned to the mannequins with even more force.

Sensing she was doing this on purpose, he should've stopped her then and questioned why she was so off

Sensing she was doing this on purpose, he should've stopped her then and questioned why she was so off. But he didn't. He let it continue until he saw she was becoming distracted, as if losing control of herself. No way could they do any combat today. One, (or both) will only end up hurt. Using the excuse of having a few 'guardian things' to do, he ended their session early, saying he expected her to go straight to the unit. Instead of moving as he expected, Rose had barely given her acknowledgement of his words before turning to the bag with a vengeance.

 Instead of moving as he expected, Rose had barely given her acknowledgement of his words before turning to the bag with a vengeance

Walking into Alberta's office was when he found out just how much he had fucked up. Alberta feared his presence meant things had gotten even worse, not that he was ignorant of what had happened entirely. He replied to her with confusion, saying that she didn't seem focused and so ended things early.  With a tired sigh, Alberta's disappointment in him was evident by her tone as she filled him in on today's events. Not waiting to be dismissed, he took off.