Lessons on Staking - Rose POV and Third Person

AUTHOR NOTE:

This chapter was too difficult to write wholly in third person or Rose perspective, so it alternates at times. I think it still reads well so have kept it like this.

Days had passed and true to her word, Lissa was keeping everything else in check. Reluctantly I had to admit, Christian was doing a good job at keeping her emotions in check and calming her when the royal games were getting to be too much for her to handle. This morning Dimitri had said he would meet me at practice as he had to set things up. I was so eager to learn how to stake but Dimitri had still been teaching me combat instead. Suspecting he was also teaching me a lesson in patience, I tried to wait patiently and not bug him until he caved. So imagine how thrilled I was walking into the gym today. 

Practice dummies were arranged on the far wall, looking amazingly lifelike. No straw-stuffed burlap bags here. The dummies were men and women, wearing ordinary clothes, with rubbery skin and different hair and eye colors. Their expressions ranged from happy to scared to angry. I'd worked with these dummies before in other trainings, using them to practice kicks and punches. But I'd never worked with them while holding what Dimitri held: a silver stake.

"Sweet," I breathed excitedly

"Sweet," I breathed excitedly. This must have been what he said he needed to set up. He was allowing me more freedom and I would not disappoint him nor break his trust in me. I know the consequences would extend to him if I did. Dimitri leaned casually against the wall, in that easy stance he always pulled off remarkably well, despite being almost six-seven. Tossing the stake in the air with one hand, it spun around in a cartwheel a few times before coming down. He caught it hilt first. "Please tell me I get to learn how to do that today," I said. Amusement flashed in the dark depths of his eyes. I think he had a hard time keeping a straight face around me sometimes.

"You'll be lucky if I let you hold it today," he said, flipping the stake into the air again. My eyes followed it longingly. I started to point out that I'd already held one, but that line of logic would get me nowhere and only raise questions I can't answer. I may have placed a fair amount of trust in him already and told him some of what's happened since the bond formed, but I'm not ready to divulge everything. Others would also get into trouble, not to mention we still did not know who was threatening Lissa. It was clear from the animal incidents that someone was following her before we left, possibly Miss Karp too given recent revelations regarding their similar magic. Magic that no Moroi was supposed to be able to wield. I cannot risk Lissa's safety before I have all the answers. Tossing my backpack on the floor, I threw off my coat. I'm ready for anything.

 I'm ready for anything