Heartbreaking Revelations

Inside the house, Rose was beginning to struggle after taking down yet another two strigoi. She needed a stake. Hacking off heads with a blunt sword was taking too long and used more energy than she had. Right then a stake appeared in her hand. Thinking she finally had a handle on her magic, she dropped the sword and tried thinking up another stake. Only something was wrong. 

Bodies began floating around the room and her head felt like someone took a sledgehammer to it. Despite the fair amount of pain she was in, there was a positive too. Strigoi were freaking the hell out. They were swatting at where the figures were. Rose seized the opportunity, not wasting any time she painstakingly moved around the room, staking them one by one. Her head felt like it would split in two but she had no idea of how or why. As one Strigoi was staked and fell dead, the ghostly figures moved to the next one. Eventually all the strigoi were gone, only she was left in the room. Before she knew what was happening, they turned on her.

While most attacked her, some appeared to be defending her. Her defenders tried shouting what she assumed were messages for their loved ones, but she couldn't understand. Eventually one ghostly figure stood out, approaching her slowly. He was someone she recognized, a guardian from when she was growing up. There was so much she wished to say to him. She didn't understand any of this. Smiling at her, he held his hands to either side of her face and kissed the top of her head. Suddenly the pain was gone, no ghosts in sight. Feeling strangely at peace, Rose took a moment to assess her surroundings. No time to think. She could feel more threats present. A nagging feeling in her gut was also telling her something big was amiss.

Slowly picking herself up off the ground where she'd collapsed after staking the last strigoi, she began the task of exploring the rooms once more

Slowly picking herself up off the ground where she'd collapsed after staking the last strigoi, she began the task of exploring the rooms once more. It didn't take long before she came across a list of royals and detailed plans, confirming her insiders' theory. Likely a royal wants to become Strigoi but is too chicken to drain someone. Cowards Rose thought bitterly, wishing all Moroi were like her family and friends. Believing that back up would be on their way by now, she left the planning room as is and continued, trying to find the threat her gut now screamed of. 

Locating them easily, she paused at hearing conversation. They'd not yet sensed her presence. "Yes we have them. Just like you said, they wanted to play hero" the older male Strigoi spoke with a sinister laugh. "They had no idea what they discovered in those tunnels or they would have run immediately".

"So long as none make it back alive. Well I don't care if they do or not, as long as they don't know my involvement and that blood whore and my nephew don't return". Rose only just made out the voice but couldn't believe it. Surely she had it wrong. She couldn't possibly be that evil.

"Why do you want to get rid of your nephew? Didn't you get what you wanted already after we set his parents up to die" the woman said with a smile. Composure failing and starting to shake in rage, Rose tried to hold position and continue listening. If she is right about whom this is, then it means his parents never turned willingly as their world thought. He'd be crushed. Especially after the strigoi holding them had taunted him with his parents. Rose always thought it strange that his parents would willingly turn without a thought to the son they were leaving behind, only to be killed when coming back for him. Now she knew. Turning was never truly their choice.