Chapter 2

A/N
***Clarification time***
Khushi's dad - Shashi Gupta is an engineer at the government department

Her grandmother passed away three years ago from breast cancer.

Her grandfather passed away last year due to Covid.

Khushi grew up the care of her grandparents in Bangalore while her parents worked in Mumbai.
*
*
*
(Back to the story)

Arnav's POV

Around some time in the afternoon, I went back to Nk's room to check up on his stitches. Khushi seems to be busy working, with her eyes concentrated at the laptop screen. Her bestie caught me staring at Khushi, for a few seconds more than I guess he liked. Yep, he caught me staring, alright and it was my cue to move towards him. And it was the actual reason I came to their room, in the first place.

"She's in a meeting. Please talk softly." - He whispered, trying not to disturb Khushi.  Such a good friend.

Walking to be beside Nk, I whispered to Nk - "IT folks actually work?"

I guess she heard it too since she cutely glared at me. For the tiniest second, which still makes my heart still flutter.

Nk -"They do when it's a video conference". He answered only to see Khushi showing her middle finger in front of the laptop so that the webcam doesn't catch the screen. Maybe arrange marriage might not be a bad idea. She does check one of my many boxes. A woman who is not afraid to swear. Check.

Just several hundred to go, hehe!

Nk whispered back-"Very mature!"

I checked his wounds and his blood test results.

Nk seems to be very chatty, unlike the silent and much reserved Khushi. We soon got into talking and I just told him that I have to proofread my research paper, which is 12 pages long, and that I am struggling to do so. He suggested leaving it with him since 'Noods' (Khushi) is the fastest speed reader. Apparently, she was the one who did all the theoretical and documentation aspects of their college projects. Can I leave it with her? Won't be asking too much from her? I hardly know her. But, Nk managed to convince me and I agreed. Reluctantly.

Nk also managed to tear up his stitches.

And so, I had to clean up his wounds and redid the bandages with the help of my nurses, in comfortable silence.

I couldn't help but watch her out of the corner of his eye: the way her brow furrowed up in concentration, the way she held onto the pen while scribing her notes onto her diary, her messy hair falling over her face. The way she presented details in her call, which to me was all Greek and Latin. But, the command her voice has got. Damn...

I smiled to myself, thinking that any moment like this would have been the start of a romance arc in any basic novel.

And that thought made me a little uncomfortable.

Was this the moment I was supposed to know if she's the one for me? If that's the case, I legit felt nothing for her.

I returned an hour back to Nk's room to check up on his vital and found her immersed deep in the laptop, again.  She didn't even take her eyes off her laptop for not even a second. Look at me just once- my heart screamed at her, which was surprising to me. But, thankfully, she didn't hear my foolish heart screaming at her or else it would have been very awkward.

Nk also handed me the paper and I was surprised to see it proofread with a lot of comments. I told him to thank her and I watched her eye follow me as I left the room. I nodded thanking her for helping with the paper and she nodded back acknowledging me.