Chapter 9

PLEASE LEAVE A VOTE! IT'S FREE! :)

💚💚

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖊𝖝𝖙 𝖉𝖆𝖞 in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Hermione explained a plan to me that I had seen in my visions. I listened patiently, fiddling with my fingers. When she finished, I questioned her under my breath.

"Do you know how many rules that's going to break? Some of those ingredients are going to have to be taken from Snape's private storage!" That was the part that I was feeling the most apprehensive about. I really, really hated the idea of stealing from Snape.

We couldn't talk anymore so Hermione didn't answer my questions. Lockhart had hauled Harry to the front of the classroom. He had Harry play the characters or the Magical Creatures (I refused to call them monsters as that would go against everything I believed) that he was trying to cure. Right now, Harry was playing the Werewolf. I looked on in boredom and amusement.

"Nice loud howl, Harry." Lockhart said, motioning with his fingers for Harry to howl louder.

Harry gave a loud howl, his cheeks turning bright red from humiliation. I bit the palm of my hand to keep from bursting out laughing. I could already see the Slytherins in the corner of the room dissolving into giggles- not trying to be quiet. Seamus and Dean were having a hard time keeping straight faces in the front row.

"-exactly-and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced- and like this-" Lockhart jumped up and landed on top of Harry. Harry's mouth shaped into an o like he'd had the breath knocked out of him. I winced. "-slammed him to the floor- thus- with one hand, I managed to hold him down-" His hand went down on Harry's chest. "-with my other, I put my wand to his throat- I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm- he let out a piteous moan- go on, Harry-"

The moan that Harry let out was certainly one to pity and it also pushed me over my self-control. I dissolved into giggles, managing to keep them silent which only made them worse. Tears leaked out of my eyes and I quickly put my head down on the desk.

"-higher than that." Lockhart said disapprovingly.

Harry made another attempt at the sound. It was definitely higher. Ron also dissolved into laughter. Even Hermione was having a hard time keeping a straight face.

"-good- the fur vanished- the fangs shrank- and he turned back into a man. Simple, yet effective- and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks." Lockhart said, standing up and helping Harry up.

The bell rang and I quickly wiped my eyes so that Harry didn't know I'd been laughing.

"Homework- compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga Werewolf! Signed Copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

"I'd rather have an actual grade." I muttered, my good mood from Harry's performance gone.

Harry returned to the back of the room. Hermione had the permission slip out hidden behind her stack of books. Ron was standing up, facing his back towards us. I felt my anxiety heighten for no reason.

"Ready?" Harry muttered. I shook my head slightly.

"Wait till everyone's gone." Hermione muttered. "All right. . ."

She approached Lockhart's desk, a piece of paper clutched tightly in her hand. Like in Myrtle's bathroom, Harry and Ron followed her and I hung back near the back of the classroom.

"Er- Professor Lockhart?" Hermione stammered. "I wanted to- to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading." She held out the book slip. "But the thing is, it's in the Restricted Section of the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it- I'm sure it would help me understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow-acting venoms-"