Chapter 2

Nino -Present Day-

"Master, why don't you have Ladybug doing all of this Guardian stuff?" I ask during my three-mile morning run. Master Fu and I had gotten into a strict eating and health schedule that involved a lot of exercise. The two weeks since I got my Miraculous and began my training have been rough on me, but I've gotten through it all. Master Fu says it's to make sure that I'm the most physically able of the Miraculous holders.

"Hawk Moth is after her," Master Fu replies. "He wants her Miraculous. He isn't interested in yours. You are simply the safest option."

"Oh okay," I say. It's been kind of hard these past couple of weeks. Alya and I haven't been spending as much time together and for the most part, she seems okay with it. I haven't spent much time as Carapace either. I don't get involved unless I'm around the action.

Master Fu and I round the corner to my house and we finally take a break.

"Well done, Nino," he says. "You've got your time down to 23 minutes." Well duh dude, we've been doing these runs for what feels like forever. I wipe the sweat off of my forehead with the towel around my neck as Master Fu takes off his headband. "We'll chat later. Have a good day at school."

"You too," I say to him as he walks away. I check my watch to see the time is 6:47 A.M. Perfect. I go into my house and take a quick cold shower (Master Fu tells me that I can only take cold showers right now). After that, I get dressed for high school and make a quick run for the school.

The jog from my house to the high school used to feel longer. But now that Master Fu and I have been out running, this feels like a cakewalk.

"Nino!" Alya waves at me from the steps. She and Marinette are already standing by the front door waiting on me and Adrien.

"Hey babe," I say as she kisses me on the cheek. "How are you dude's doin'?" Ever since I started training with Master Fu, some of his old-timey language has been rubbing off on me.

"We're good," Alya replies for the both of them. Before she can get another word in, Adrien walks up and joins us.

"Good morning," he greets in his normal formal tone.

"Good morning," we all greet back. With that, Alya faces me again, her brows furrowed and with a droopy look.

"Is something wrong?" I ask her. She looks at Adrien and Marinette before speaking.

"Can you guys go on ahead? I need to talk to Nino." With a worried expression, Marinette and Adrien say bye and walk away.

"Really, babe, are you okay? Is something wrong?" I ask again.

"Ya, I just- well," she tries to communicate. "I just feel so bad. We haven't been hanging out at all lately!" I let out a sigh of relief. I was worried that she wanted to break up with me for not spending a lot of time with her.

"Al's, it's okay," I try to tell her. "We've both just been super busy. Plus, it was fun to go shopping for matching fanny packs." Ever since I've become Carapace, I needed some way to keep Wayzz with me. Alya showed up at my house one day wearing a fanny pack, so I decided it was a good idea and we got matching fanny packs.

"That's the issue, Nino," Alya replies. "We both say it's 'fine.' It shouldn't be fine! We need to hang out today. No interruptions, just the two of us." I give a little chuckle before responding.

"Totally," I say. "How about we spend all of this afternoon together?" Alya's face then lights up.

"That's perfect!" She exclaims. Just then, the bell for homeroom rings. "Oh, let's get to class."