Chapter 8

Nino (A week later...)

Wow.

Everything fell apart in one day. Where do I even start? It's probably best if I start with the beginning, after my daily run with Master Fu.

It was Heroes' Day, a newly founded and approved holiday to celebrate the heroes of Paris. Other countries, like America, had already founded it and it's been a big part of their culture for about two years, but France had never hopped on that bandwagon. That's because we've never had any major villains that required heroes.

Anyways, the entire town was in celebration. Because of how new the holiday was, my high school didn't get the day off. Instead, while the city was holding a huge festival to celebrate Ladybug, Chat Noir, Rena Rouge, and me, I was stuck sitting in class.

The school day went as normal, lame, and boring, but when Lila and Marinette got into a fight, the entire day changed for the worse.

Somehow, Lila's necklace ended up in Marinette's locker and Lila found out. She reported Marinette to the office, and the principal took a look to see if it was true. Sure as hell, the necklace was in her locker.

I guess a bunch of other stuff happened because Marinette got expelled over it. The entire class was there, too, watching and seeing this all go down.

They're expelling Mari? I remember thinking. We were all confused, maybe even a little hurt. But that was when it happened.

Scarlet butterflies started to flood the school building, akumatizing everyone. It was like a flood of glowing blood flying through the hallways.

I ran to Alya, hoping to protect her. If anyone was going to be upset over Marinette's expulsion, it would be my girlfriend and her best friend.

"Alya!" I shouted as I stood in front of the butterfly coming her way. I was hoping that I could protect her even without being Carapace.

"Nino, what's happening?" She asked. She ended up sounding fine, and the butterfly avoided us completely.

"I don't know, but I think it's a mass akumatization," I replied, scanning the crowd for Marinette and Adrien. I saw Chloe protecting Sabrina, but other than that, it looked like everyone who was in the locker room got akumatized.

"Where's Mari?" Alya asked, jumping in front of me. She began to make her way through the butterflies, dragging me by my hand. "Marinette!" She called out for her, but she never got an answer.

Once we made our way out of the school, we saw the streets of Paris weren't much different. If you weren't akumatized, you were running from red butterflies.

"What the hell?" I mumble, squeezing Alya's hand tighter.

"I need to get home," she says, letting go of my hand.

"Shouldn't we stay together?" As much as I wanted to turn into Carapace and make Hawk Moth pay, I wanted to be there for Alya.

"No, I think we should split up," she says, continuing down the stairs. "That way if one of us gets akumatized, the other won't get too upset and follow suit." I nod.

"I guess you're right..." She smiles.

"I love you," she says, finally disappearing into the mob of people. Instead of going to my own house, I ran back inside the school building and found a good place to hide.

"Are you sure you want to leave her out there?" Wayzz says, floating out of my fanny pack strapped across my chest.

"I think this will be for the best," I reply, taking one more look around to make sure we were alone. "Plus, if she does get akumatized, it gives me all the more reason to beat Hawk Moth to death."