Chapter 4

Chloe (9 A.M.)

"Daddy!" I call out to my father from the top of our luxurious staircase. "When is she going to be here?" Today was the day of Gabriel Agreste's rare fashion show, where Adrien, the love of my life, would be modeling Marinette Dupain-Cheng's ugly hat. It still made my blood boil that the baker girl's hat won the competition. Now poor Adrien would have to wear that ridiculous thing in front of thousands of people.

"She'll be here soon," my father replied. He was extra nervous today. Unlike most days, Mom was going to be in town. She's been in New York for a few years now. The only reason I even know what she looks like is because I keep up with her trending magazine, 'Style Queen.'

"Fine," I mutter as I take a seat on one of the velvet couches. Mom hadn't visited me in ages. I wasn't even sure what I would say to her when she got here! I got her a present yesterday, hoping that she would like it, but how would I even give it to her?

"She's here, sir." A voice broke my thoughts as I looked up to see my father talking with one of the workers. His face turned pale and he nervously pulled at his collar. Daddy always had the weirdest way of showing his affection for my mother. That's how I know Adrien has the hots for me.

"Of course!" Daddy exclaimed as loudly as he could. "Get the chauffeur, quickly now!" People began scrambling to make sure the final preparations for Mom's arrival were set in stone.

Within five minutes, my mother walked through the front door.

Her glimmering golden boots were the first thing I noticed. As my eyes trailed up the rest of her perfect figure, I realized the bob cut she had was perfect for her face shape. Her outfit was black and white, causing the gold to be a perfect contrast to the dull colors. She lifted her designer sunglasses and exposed her blue eyes.

Seeing her in person made me realize how small she made me feel. I hadn't seen her since I was a kid.

"Andre," she called out, forcing her bag into one of the workers. "Your staff is appalling. They're all fired." She stalked up to my father, placing her hand on her hip. "They can't even take luggage correctly."

"Now dear," Daddy sweated. "I'm sure they were all just stunned by your beauty and charisma." Mom nodded in agreement.

"You must be right," she sighed. "It's hard being the most important person in Paris." She then began up the staircase. "I'll be back down after I make sure my bags are all in order. There better be a car waiting on me before I make it back down here."

Daddy and I make eye contact.

"Audrey, darling, aren't you going to say hi to your daughter?" He called out to her. I bit my lip in anticipation.

"Which one?" She asked in return, barely stopping. The dread in my heart became almost unbearable.

"Chloe," he answered. She stopped in her tracks, seemingly thinking. For a moment, a little bit of hope built up in my heart that she would remember me.

"Well, if she would like to see me, tell her to get in the car. I'll meet with her there," she said as she disappeared into the hotel. Daddy then walked back to me.

"I'm sorry," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "She can just be- be a little bit much." His words didn't make me feel any better.

"Why doesn't she remember me?" I asked him. His face dropped and he let out a heavy sigh before answering.

"Your mother can be..." he stopped to find the right words. "Very stressed. She's going to be judging the person who discovered her today! She must be too stressed to be thinking straight." A little smile crept onto my face.