Chapter 35

TAEHYUNG

When my cell rings and I see it's Namjoon calling, I almost have a heart attack.

I answer instantly. My greeting is a barked, "What did she say?"

"What didn't she say?" is Namjoon's aggravated response. "She wouldn't shut up. It was like dealing with a mental patient. Or a banshee. She screamed bloody murder all over the place!"

Imagining her upset and angry, hurt because of me, I groan.

"And she smacked me!" He laughs, half outraged and half admiring. "A good one, too! The stones on her, in-fucking-credible!"

When I groan again, Namjoon says sourly, "Oh, quit your pissin' and moanin'. She's mad as hell, but she still loves you."

I almost drop the phone. Then I almost have that heart attack again. The phone gripped in my shaking hand, I say hoarsely, "Did she tell you that?"

"Aye. Though she didn't have to. A woman only ever gets that level of thermonuclear over a man she loves."

My knees give out. I drop into a nearby chair, tilt my head back, and close my eyes.

She loves me.

She told Namjoon she loves me.

If I died at this moment, it would be as a happy man.

"You still there, Romeo?"

My voice is thick when I answer. "Still here."

"What's our next move?"

I open my eyes, lift my head, and look at the FBI agents sitting across the table staring back at me.

I say, "I'll let you know soon," and disconnect.