Epilogue

JENNIE

Afterward, we doze. I wake to the incredible sight of a rainbow arching over the distant pastures, glinting from the recent rain. The sky is clearing to patchy blue. Outside, birds are singing.

Beside me, Taehyung slumbers, a small smile on his handsome face.

I slip quietly from bed, tiptoeing and trying not to wake him. He murmurs something in his sleep, rolls over, then settles in again.

He's far more relaxed here than in Boston. I'd never be able to slip out of bed there without him hearing me. I put on a robe and pad barefoot into the kitchen to get the coffee started.

On the kitchen counter, beside a huge bouquet of roses, I find a small black velvet box.

My heartbeat goes haywire. My hand flies up to cover my mouth.

I glance over my shoulder, but there's no sound from the bedroom. So I creep toward the box. My hands shake as I reach for it.

Inside, nestled against the black velvet, is a gorgeous diamond ring. The centre stone is huge and blinding. It's flanked on either side by a pair of fat rubies, blood red.

I stare at it, water gathering in my eyes.

Big arms slide around my waist and cinch me against a warm, solid chest. Taehyung whispers into my ear, "I once said I wouldn't force you to marry me, but I'm taking that back. Consider yourself forced."

Here come those damn tears again.

I whisper, "You are the bossiest, most aggravating, and by far the most wonderful man I have ever met."

"I know. Put the damn ring on."

I slide it onto my ring finger. Unsurprisingly, it fits.

I turn around, hide my face in Taehyung's chest, and burst into tears.

Chuckling, he holds me tight, smoothing a hand over my hair. "So when does the bar association notify you if you passed the exam?"

"Can you give me a minute to recover, please? I'm having an emotional moment here!"

Ignoring that, he says, "Because I can tell you now, if you want."

I pull away and gape at him. "How could you possibly know? I'm not supposed to get the results for two months!"

He smiles. "I know people."

"Taehyung!" I pound on his chest with small, useless fists. It doesn't budge him.

"Is that a no?" He shrugs, releasing me. "Suit yourself."

I glare daggers at his back as he picks up the remote for the TV that hangs on the kitchen wall, next to the breakfast nook. It comes on to a news channel. I'm about to demand more information about the test, but am distracted by the headline on the screen.

"Texas Judge Arrested for Conspiracy to Murder."

I freeze when the newscaster says a name I know all too well.

It's the same judge who ordered the killing of my brother.

I listen in cold shock as the newscaster reports the story of how the FBI raided the judge's home and chambers, tipped off by an unidentified source. When I turn my astonished gaze toward Taehyung, he's leaning against the kitchen counter, watching me with loving eyes, his expression somber.

I whisper, "Did you do this?"

He keeps his voice low and his gaze trained on me when he answers.

"You said you didn't want blood on your hands. I figured life in prison was the next best thing."

When my knees give out, Taehyung's there to catch me before I fall.

As he always has been.

As I know he always will be.

Forever.