Chapter 7 - Rockabye

" She tells him, "Ooh, love, no one's ever gonna hurt you, love
I'm gonna give you all of my love
Nobody matters like you"
She tells him, "Your life ain't gon' be nothing like my life
You're gonna grow and have a good life
I'm gonna do what I've got to do. "

'Rockabye' - The Mayries
************************************

Shannon's eyes widened when he realised the gravity of the situation.

"W-what should I do? What would you like me to do? Shall I call my Mum and get her to come?"

Emily felt a twinge and winced, trying to remember what she had been told in her appointments for when this time came.

"What's wrong? Are you OK, Emily? Is everything OK?"

She could tell he was starting to panic now, and it really wasn't helping her with how she was feeling right now, herself.

"Call. A fucking. Ambulance, Shannon!" She eventually told him through gritted teeth, as she tried to breathe through the pain that she was experiencing.

"Oh...erm...yeah sure, hang on." Shannon reached into his sweatpants pocket and fished around for his phone, taking it out and quickly calling 911 whilst keeping a close eye on Emily, who was currently gritting her teeth, groaning and her eyes were raised  focusing at the ceiling.

She groaned loudly and Shannon came to walk back over to her rubbing her back soothingly with his hand, really not quite sure what to do and feeling out of his depth.

Shannon's phone connected to the operator.

"911 which service do you require?"

"Ambulance please, my er...my partner is going into labour. I think." He looked across once more at Emily, chewing his lip anxiously.

He watched Emily closing her eyes and felt her starting to rock slightly through the wave of pain, letting out a small moan in the process.

"Just a second Sir, and I'll transfer you through."

"Ok, thanks."

"Hello Sir, what's your emergency?" Another voice questioned him.

"My partner has just gone into labour."

"How long ago did everything start?"

"I-I don't know, she just called me through to her bedroom and told me her waters had broken."

"Is she there Sir, can you ask her for me?"

"You can call me Shannon, and yes, she's here. Em, has this all just started?"

Emily nodded. "Like... 5ish minutes ago, I guess. Owwww!"

She grasped ahold of Shannon's thigh and dug her nails into the flesh through the grey cotton fabric.

"Fuck! Ow, Em!" Shannon exclaimed at the sensation.

************************************

**Anchorage General Hospital - 5hrs Later**

"That's great, Emily. Keep going, keep pushing." The midwife told her as Emily was on the bed in the Delivery Suite of the Maternity Ward.

Shannon was sitting at the side of Emily, looking as white as a sheet, whilst she was gripping the hell out of his hand. She was gripping it so tightly he was worried she might crush it, and that would mean that he wouldn't be able to drum for a while. However, right now, that was the least of his problems.