Chapter 13 - The Chosen Pessimist

" In many ways I'm the burden that divides us from the light
In many ways you're the halo that keeps my spirit alive

Temptation
Play the good or evil part
With me, you evoke the dark
Erase the free will and watch me heal. "

'The Chosen Pessimist' - In Flames

************************************

"If you're still anxious about things. Why don't we go outside and jump in my jacuzzi? It's been a while since I've used it, and my back is aching a little. I'll make us both a coffee from a new roast, Black Fuel is about to release, and I could do with your opinion on it." Shannon suggested to Emily as he climbed off of his bed and held out a hand to her.

He saw the tension written across her face ease at his suggestion, and a smile started to form.

"You know I would never make you do anything you were uncomfortable with." Shannon continued.

"I know. That sounds like a wonderful idea. I'd gladly be your guinea pig."

"Oh, would you now?" Shannon waggled his eyebrows at her.

She swatted him on the arm. "Stop it! You know what I meant."

"Why don't you go and get changed, and I'll meet you out there. You remember where the jacuzzi is, don't you?"

Emily nodded before calling out to Shannon as he was about to exit his bedroom. "Thank you for tonight, by the way. I was so proud of you."

"It's no problem. There's no one else I'd rather have by my side for it. Thank you for coming."

"I'll see you downstairs in a bit."

Shannon nodded and left his bedroom, closing the door quietly behind himself as he did so.

************************************

**Later**

Shannon was busy outside on his patio area, sorting out his jacuzzi. He'd rolled back the top and had switched it on to let it bubble and warm up for the both of them, and was now busy switching on some lights around the lavender that bordered the paved area.

There were two mugs of steaming coffee that Emily could see set on a glass table as she stepped out of Shannon's French Doors and onto the stone. She could feel it warm from the day beneath her bare feet and quickly crossed to the table to set her phone down on the glass top.

She smiled to herself as she watched Shannon beavering away, obviously trying to make things perfect for the two of them. It was so endearing to her that he could be so attentive. Before she met both James and Shannon, she now realised that Jason hadn't given two shits about her.

To him, she had just been a commodity. His personal slave almost. Whether or not he would admit that to her was another matter, but she knew that's what it had felt like to herself.

Making her way over to Shannon as he checked once more on the temperature of the water in the jacuzzi, she reached out and ran a hand softly down his back, slightly catching him off guard.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to make you jump." Emily chuckled softly as she saw him flinch where she had touched him. She leant down and lightly kissed him on the neck, slowly making her way up and around to his ear, whispering, "This looks perfect. Thank you."

Stepping back, she watched as Shannon turned around to face her and saw his eyes start to bulge when he caught sight of her in her black, satin dressing gown.