Chapter 18 - New Friends

" I might sound crazy
But you know I've always been
And at least I ain't lonely
Except every now and then
Ain't nothing here can hold me
Like only you can
If you ain't coming back baby
I'm thinking maybe I could use
Some new friends "

'New Friends' - Lainey Wilson

************************************

"You promise me you'll call me if there's a problem? Anything at all, please just call me." Emily told Vanessa as she continued to pack to stay the night at Kali's after their Girls Night Out this evening.

"I will. I promise you, Emily. Everything will be fine. I've been doing this for years and have babysat Jacob more times than I can count. Any problem at all and I'll be straight on the phone to you."

"I'll probably give you a quick call later on."

"Ok, that's fine. Now, go on. Go and have fun. Enjoy your baby-free evening."

"I'll try to." Emily grabbed her coat on the way out, along with her scarf, and pulled on her snow boots. "Thank you so much, Vanessa. I promise I won't make this a regular thing."

Vanessa laughed. "Emily. It's fine. You are allowed time off from being a mum. Trust me. I think you're doing an incredible job on your own for your first time."

"Thank you. That's really kind. I've been trying my best."

"Well, you've been amazing."

Emily walked back to give Alex a big kiss on the head as Vanessa was holding him, jigging him up and down on her hip.

"I'll see you later, Sweetie. Mummy loves you lots and lots. Please be good for Vanessa, OK? I love you."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Vanessa, OK?"

"Sure thing. Have a great time, and try not to worry, we'll be just fine."

************************************

**Kali's**

It was a Friday evening, and Emily was round Kali's getting ready for their Girls Night with some of Kali's friends from her yoga classes. They were going to head Downtown and meet the girls on Forth Avenue and go to a bar and grill there.

The weather had eased up a little, but there was still plenty of snow lying around in huge white mounds, but at least there hadn't been any further fresh powder.

John had got home from work, and was planning on watching the NFL game between the Seahawks and 49ers later on with some of his buddies and had been busy getting the beers in ready whilst Kali and Emily focused on getting ready for their night.

Taking her outfit off the coat hanger that was hanging from the back of the bedroom door, she laid it out on the bed before her and pulled on some simple, black, hot pants, before she picked up the light, grey, long, off the shoulder, cashmere dress jumper that she was going to wear tonight.

Adjusting the dress around the shoulders, she went to the en suite bathroom to focus on her hair and make-up. It was just going to be a casual meal out with some girlfriends, so she decided to keep her makeup quite neutral, applying a nude lip and some light blush.

Her hair had grown out slightly since she had cut it into a bob all those months ago, and she had allowed it to grow out slightly to just past her shoulders; still unsure if she was wanting to let it grown back out to it's full original length. She decided to switch things up a bit for tonight and piled her hair up into two space buns, letting some white blonde tendrils escape to frame her face.