Chapter 8 - A New Life

" New life, new love
Where's the heart I was dreaming of?
I need a new hope, new dream
Another part in a different scene

A new life, it's so hard to find
A new love, it's so hard to find. "

'A New Life' - Pet Shop Boys
************************************

**A Few Days Later**

Shannon helped Emily out of the cab as it pulled up to drop them all off outside of her apartment complex.

Jared had stayed for the few days she had been in hospital but had had to leave early today to get back to LA for important meetings, but had said that he would fly back again in a couple of weeks when things had calmed down at his end, and that has been fine with Emily because it would mean that she would have a little more time, and hopefully have settled into more of a routine with Alex.

Constence had said that she would stay with Emily for as long as she needed her, as Shannon was going to need to fly back in a couple of weeks as well, to check up on things at Black Fuel.

Emily winced as she climbed out of the backseat of the taxi, and Constence helped her slowly and carefully to stand by the car.

Walking around to the boot of the taxi, the driver popped the back and helped Shannon out with Emily's hospital bag, which Shannon effortlessly slung over his shoulder.

"Emily, would you like Mum to help you inside whilst I bring Alex in for you?" Shannon questioned Emily as she was lent against the taxi door.

"Erm... yeah, sure. Thanks, Shannon." She mummbled quietly to him, still pretty exhausted after trauma of the last 3 days, whilst also trying to wrap her head around the fact that she was now a new Mum with a newborn.

Constence helped Emily slowly and steadily up the front steps, allowing her to lean on her as and when she needed.

"Make sure he's strapled in safely and securely, won't you Shan?" Constence turned her head to tell her son, whilst holding onto Emily's arm.

"Will do."

The driver helped Shannon out with Alex's carrier and smiled down at the little bundle securely wrapped and fastened inside his carrier. He was currently fast asleep in a onesie that was slightly too big, a hat and little mittens to prevent him from scratching himself with his miniscule nails.

"I forgot how tiny they are when they're first born. You're lucky man. Treasure every moment because they grow up incredibly fast." The taxi driver told Shannon, also smiling down at Alex.

"Thanks, Man." Shannon carefully picked up Alex and followed after his Mother and Emily. They were currently waiting for him in the foyer; Emily sitting down on a sofa there.

"Are you feeling OK?" Shannon questioned her softly, concerned.

"I'm just tired and sore. I'll have a tea when we get up to my apartment and take some of the medication I've been prescribed." She managed to give him a weary smile. "How's Alex? Is he OK after the journey?"

"He's flat out. Don't worry." Shannon looked down at the carrier containing the newborn and smiled fondly.

"I think I'll have to feed him shortly." She sighed, "or try to."

She was finding breast-feeding Alex a little hard, but was determined to stick at it.

"Don't worry, Emily. We all find it hard to start with. It wasn't a walk in the park for me either." Constence told her, rubbing up and down Emily's arm, trying to reassure her.