Chapter 10 - 'Single' Ladies

" 'Cause if you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it

If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it
Don't be mad once you see that he want it
If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it
Whoa, oh, oh. "

'Single Ladies' - Beyonce

************************************

Shannon was so shocked by Emily's sudden actions that he was frozen to the spot. Everything around him seemed to be moving in slow motion, and it took a couple of minutes for him to register what was happening. He really loved her, but his Mother's words were currently ringing in his head right now, to just, 'be careful'.

"Em-Emily. Wait. Stop." He reached out and gently removed her hands from where they currently resided on his chest and held them carefully in his own. He watched her face closely as she tilted her face up to search his own, a look of confusion starting to cross it.

"B-but I thought. I-I thought this—" She started. He could tell she was now becoming very embarrassed at her actions as her cheeks had become flushed and the tips of her ears were turning red.

"I just think we should take things slowly Emily, that's all. You've got a newborn to focus on now."

Emily suddenly yanked her hands out of his. "Hang on a minute Shannon. I was the one who said I needed to focus on Alex, you were the one still flirting with me, being touchy-feely and giving me kisses, yes, granted only on the cheek. I-I thought this was what you wanted?" She glared at him, managing to wearily cross her arms, making to take off her vest-top, but not getting very far because things were still so sore.

"Look. Here, let me help you." Shannon crossed over to her and removed her hands from the hem of her top and replaced them with his own.

Emily sighed deeply.

************************************

Their conversation was cut through by wailing and Emily tore her gaze away from Shannon who was still standing in front of her as she had her back to the sink.

"I-I need to go and see what he wants. Can you help me on with my t-shirt Shannon?" Emily snapped at him, becoming slightly flustered about everything.

"Erm...y-yeah sure."

He frantically reached around her for the Nirvana t-shirt that was draped over the sink.

"Is everything OK in here you two? I don't mean to pry, but Alex's crying came over the baby monitor and he's sounding a little distressed."

Constance's voice floated across the bedroom and through to the bathroom where both Emily and Shannon stood.

"Y-yeah things are...fine." Shannon called out to his mother, hearing her footsteps nearing the bathroom and Alex now happily gurgling.

Emily currently had the t-shirt halfway over her head and Shannon was helping her on with it. The next thing they knew, Constance had poked her head around the bathroom door, gently jigging Alex up and down as she held him against her shoulder.

"Mum! Things are fine, honestly." Shannon was now embarrassed that she had caught them as they both were, after the conversation he had had an hour or so ago with her in the lounge.

"Oh! I do apologise. I just heard Alex bawling down the baby monitor and couldn't hear anyone soothing him. I wanted to make sure you both weren't asleep."

"No. It's fine Constance. Thank you." Emily abruptly replied, annoyed and embarrassed that she was caught how she was by Shannon's mother.

Yanking the t-shirt down the rest of her body she moved to push Shannon out of the way to take Alex from Constance "Alex had an accident when I last fed him and he threw up over me when I was burping him. Shannon was helping me change out of my messed up clothes."