Chapter 17- The Plan

" On the step you handed me
Pieces of the plan
At the gate you handed me
Pieces of the plan

Can I hold it for a week?
Can I hold it?
Can I hold it?
Can I hold it for a week? "

'The Plan' - Death Cab for Cutie

*****************************

Emily started to panic immediately as soon as she heard the words, 'For godsake, Shannon. Call an ambulance,' coming from Jared down the other end of the phone-line.

"Jay! JAY! What's going on? Is everything OK? Why do you need an ambulance?"

He didn't respond. There was just more scuffling and muffled talking.

"JAY!" She shouted again, causing Kali to fly into the room.

"Emily! EM! Are you OK?" She paused when she saw Emily sat on her bed looking flustered and upset. "Woah. OK, what happened? Are you OK? I just heard aloud of shouting and thought you were in trouble."

"No, I'm fine, but they're not! Something happened, and Jared's asked Shan to call an ambulance, but no one's telling me what's going on!"

Kali came and sat down next to her on the bed, wrapping an arm around her.

There was a muffled but slightly louder voice that came back through her phone.

"Em?" It was Shannon this time, on Jared's phone.

"What's going on? What's the ambulance for? Are you OK?"

"Erm...yeah we're fine. Emma's not."

"WHAT!? What happened? Is she breathing?"

"Yeah, she's breathing, but she's been knocked out."

"Fucksake you two. Is she conscious now?"

"She's come too, but holding her head. She hit it on the kitchen island.,, there's some blood. Jay's on my phone talking to the paramedics."

"What happened?" Emily sighed.

"Erm..." She could imagine Shannon stood there, pacing about, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Shannon..."

"I lunged to punch Jay, OK. It's my fault."

"You and your temper at your brother."

"Yeah. Well. Can you blame me? The woman I love just broke up with me at the godamn airport because of my brother."

"Shannon. I don't know what else to say. I said I'm sorry, I know it doesn't count for much.""

She heard some muffled hiccup crying starting to come from Alex's nursery and knew she was going to have to go check up on him.

"You want me to go?" Kali asked.

"No. No. It's fine. I'll go check on him in a second, but thanks."

"Is Alex crying? Do you need to go to him?" Shannon asked.

"I probably should. As long as all is in hand at your end. It's not like I can really do much here. Message me later to let me know if Emma is OK and what's happened. It's late here. I know you're an hour ahead, but I'm shattered."

Alex started bawling by now.

"I've got to go. Alex is screaming."

"OK. Go check on him, Em. I'll message you later. I think medics are nearly here anyway. I love you."