Chapter 2: EGBFFs

Dante has been on your mind in the days since you met him. Your father hasn't taken a night shift yet and you're getting antsy to go back and find him, or have him find you again. You hope he didn't get in too much trouble for getting loose, all you know is that the 'dangerous ward' was caught and returned to his room. You're anxious to get back and find him because you think that he might believe you're avoiding him or that you don't want to be his friend, and that can't be further from the truth, so when you come home from school and your dad has the sheepish look he always has when he tells you he's working that night, you have to hide your smile.

You stamp your feet after he tells you, going to your room with a yell that you're getting your sketchbook so you don't die of boredom and Fabuloso fumes in his office. When you're out of his line of sight in your room you bolt to your stack of fashion magazines, grab some of the best ones, your bag of nail polish, and then your sketchbook and pencils, throwing it all in your backpack. You're practically jumping up and down with excitement and nerves so before you go back out to your father you school your features in your floor-length mirror. Just as you go to take a step away you look back and then neaten your clothes, not so you look good if you see Dante, just because you always try to look your best when you leave the house, and definitely not because you want Dante to like your outfit... at all.

You fake pout a little bit so your father doesn't catch on to your excitement as you enter the building and begin the walk to his office. For the first time, you take notice of the building, the signs, hallways, and rooms, mapping them mentally. You're on the lookout for ward ten, the one you've heard your father mutter about being the one that scared him the most. Since Dante is supposed to be the most dangerous of the kids held here you figure he must be there.

Your father drops you off in his office and leaves to clean. You take your sketchbook out and draw a rudimentary map based on what you just observed on the walk there and what little you remember your father mentioning over the years. You have a general sense that ward ten is the deepest in the building and on either the top floor or in the basement based on the hospital's room numbering system. You decide to check the basement first since movies always have villains in dark musty places like basements and so the dangerous kids must be held somewhere like that. You rip the paper out and put it in one of the many pockets on your lavender-colored cargo pants.

You've chosen to wear something you would dub 'special agent chic', a lavender and gold accented ensemble of the pants, your signature lavender Converse, gold jewelry that doesn't jingle too much, and a t-shirt with your hero, Selena on it. Selena doesn't scream secret agent but her music gives you confidence so you had to wear it, knowing that sneaking around a mental hospital, even if it's just for kids, was going to require a lot of bravery and/or stupidity. You prefer to think it's the former.

You set your nail polish out on the desk to look like you're painting your nails so if your dad comes back while you're gone he'll assume you just went to the bathroom to clean a spill of something. You turn to the door with your hands on your hips, you take a deep breath, and then step out into the eerily silent hallway. You didn't see any steps leading down on your way to the office so you start walking the opposite way, thinking that maybe the entrance to the basement will be more hidden given the 'danger' of the kids. You step softly but walk quickly from nerves. Your heart pumps in your chest almost painfully hard from the fear of being caught and of not finding Dante, or finding him and him not wanting to be your friend after the last time you saw him.

When you get to an intersection of halls you see a signboard listing sections of the hospital including the wards and their corresponding numbers. You see that ward nine is listed as 009, meaning it's in the basement, and that you are next to the cafeteria numbered 104 on the first floor, but there is no ward ten. You read the sign again to check, but nothing. You take a deep breath and choose to go to ward nine and investigate, maybe ward ten is new so it's not listed yet? Whatever the reason is for its absence on the sign, you're not giving up until you find Dante.