Chapter 22: Finally

✧.* -2023: Somewhere in Portugal ✧.*

Dante almost doesn't want to continue, but if he wants to have her, truly have her, he must stick to his plan, must turn away from her yet again. He's waited his whole life for her and even a moment deprived of her feels like a wasted lifetime. It makes his stomach drop, turn leaden and acidic enough to kill, but he does it. He turns away from her and hits the gas.

The Toretto boy scrambles to the other side of the car, wide-eyed and chest heaving in fear. He reminds Dante of himself as a child, he's older than Dante was the first time he was committed by a few years but he has the same doe-eyed innocent look Dante assumes he must have had once. He almost regrets what he has to do but that is only a momentary flash of a thought, his whole life has been leading to this, total destruction, razed earth for him to build anew upon. This kid is a minuscule step in his journey. Does a god mourn one of his believers among billions more? Dante doubts it.

The kid hollers and Dante holds up a hand dismissively.

"Shut up," he says, annoyed that he had to take the kid rather than y/n, which would have made the rest of the plan unneeded.

Dante smirks at the fact Dominic continues to play into his hand, the bald idiot sealed his own fate and likely killed his whole family in the process but oh well, what's the destruction of one family when it comes to true love? Dante shrugs to himself, almost forgetting what he's doing. He looks over at the kid like he's just remembered he was there, mostly because it's true. He leans over toward the kid with a cruel smile, hand on the stick shift.

"Do you party? I party," he says, laughing with a sneer.

He puts the shift up a gear and the car shoots forward, clearing the mouth of the tunnel like a bullet from a gun. He immediately rams his car into Dominic's car, sending it off the highway entirely with a shower of cement from where it bursts through the road partition. The kid looks horrified, gasping at the sight of his father disappearing out of sight. Dante laughs at the way the kid's eyes glaze over with unshed tears. God, revenge is just about as sweet as he hoped but it's about to get a whole lot sweeter, he thinks.

Unfortunately, Dominic doesn't miraculously die or disappear so easily and instead, he gains control of his car and drives in the next lane over on the highway, the opposite direction of the traffic. Dante tuts, he really should pay better attention to road safety, he thinks. He takes out his walkie that automatically connects to the one in Dominic's car.

"Hey, Dominic! Welcome to the big showdown, it's the last lap, check out my copilot!" Dante says, grabbing the kid by his collar and tugging him into Dominic's view.

"Dad!" the kid yelps.

Dante lets him go, heart racing with adrenaline and genuine enjoyment at Dominic and his son's distress. This was barely ever about his father, that is just a convenient parallel he can draw from to torment Dominic, this is about y/n, about a decade of his life being stolen, about his chance at the normal life he dreamed of as a kid never being an option. If Dante cannot live happily why should Dominic who has arguably done just as much damage collateral-wise as him, be able to live some stupid fucking suburban fantasy? If Dante is the devil then so is Dominic. At least Dante owns his sins as his own instead of hiding them behind the excuse of sinning for his family's sake.

When Dante finally has her in front of him he has a thousand things he plans to say. Stupid romantic things like my soul belongs to you, we can bury our past, just stay with me forever and I'll protect your heart. He never wants to break another promise to her and he truly believes that by taking her their relationship will be healed. After all seeing that's believing and Dante has never wanted anything more than for y/n to believe in him and to be worthy of it.

"Who could have seen this coming?" Dante asks the kid rhetorically.

He looks over at the kid who is seemingly stunned to silence.

"You know, except for me," he says with a self-satisfied smile, before shifting gears again.

Dante drives furiously, adjusting his mirror to see the younger Toretto's car behind him. His heart drops when thinks of what is about to happen, but it's necessary thanks to him only being able to reach the Toretto kid rather than Y/n who should have been in the passenger side seat. He just has to hope the pyrotechnic specialist he blackmailed calculated accurately or there will be more than just hell to pay.

That or just cross his fingers one of his followers gets close enough to grab her, but the likelihood of that happening twice has got to be pretty low. Then again the Torettos seem to be unable not to repeat their mistakes endlessly...but doesn't Dante himself suffer from the same hubris? Dante can feel bile rise, he can't hurt her again, but that's all he knows how to do.

:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧

You have a gun in your hand for one of the first times in your life and you are practically hanging out of the passenger window picking off Dante's lackeys the best you can. You're a pretty good shot due to an annual pass to the local laser tag place, courtesy of Han every Christmas since you met him a little more than five years ago. You make a mental note to thank Han profusely the next time you see him but you don't have time to feel nostalgic toward your friends, you are quite literally one wrong move from being killed whether that be via falling to the road below the racing cars or being shot from your precarious position in the car window.

Jakob hits cars with the remaining missiles and the two of you create a violent pile-up that clears the way for Dom. You cheer, raising your free arm in excitement momentarily when your hand is clipped by a bullet. You grunt, trying to mask the pain so you don't throw off Jakob's focus, sure that any distraction would mean death.

Blood flows down your arm, too much too fast but you just grit your teeth and continue shooting. At least I learned my lesson about premature victory celebrations you think to yourself almost amused by the searing heat of your wound and the pain you are in. It comes with the territory of being you apparently. The insane rush twists your lips up into an almost maniacal smile. You've finally found something that makes you smile, something new, completely your own. Danger.

The road is almost suspiciously free of chasing cars for a moment when abruptly the world explodes around you, plunging you into an inferno that takes your very ability to breathe away. Your body twists in the air from the sheer momentum from the impact of something against the car which threw you from the car with terrifying power.

The sky is below you and fire and metallic ash rain on you from below. You fly for a moment, the sun is too hot on your skin, you think stupidly, and your eyes are painfully flung open as the air stings them. All you see is the shadow of Jakob still stuck in the car whose twisted form is strung in the air beside you. The sound of metal hitting the road is so frighteningly loud it only lasts for a split second before the ground rushes at you, your vision going black just before you hit the cement. You're gone to the world.

:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧

A/N

Y'all I might just be back to more or less regular-ish posts now! (probably once every two weeks or so) What has changed you may ask? Nothing except I am yet again extremely obsessed with Dante and I need to feed myself by writing this plus...

WE ARE OFFICIALLY OFF CANON AGAIN thank god bro I stopped posting 99% because I hate writing according to canon so now I'm back in the driver's seat and we're about to get furious up in here 😝

This is the fourth story arc more or less (1st was childhood, 2nd was college, 3rd was the chase) and now 4th will be the reunion and all of the drama that comes with that 😈

Also sorry this update was so damn short but I wanted to get to the good shit and cut down a bunch of the story because I need us to reunite with our mans (Dante) 💞