Chapter 9: Young and Sick

✧.* -2011: London- ✧.*

It's been a week since you last saw Ramsey, you've been hiding out at Bowie's apartment since the fight. You promised Bowie to come clean to her about your past but you aren't sure how so you've shut down and are avoiding her. Bowie is patient but you know you need to grow up and just rip the bandaid off. She's called and texted you a few times but you just watched the phone ring, chewing on your lip nervously.

You haven't allowed yourself to become attached to anyone or even anything since him but made exceptions to the rule for Ramsey and Bowie. Because you avoided relationships for so long you aren't sure how to keep them, how to fight and make up rather than wash your hands of the other person at the first sign of trouble.

When you woke up this morning you decided that you couldn't avoid it or her any longer. The longer you try to avoid the issue the worse a friend you are being, but you aren't sure how to approach her. Instead, you stay in your pajamas and bury yourself in your school work, literally finishing everything you had left to do to graduate by dinnertime. You only remember to leave the guest room, aka the gaming den, to eat because Bowie texts you that he ran to Nando's and brought you some food.

As you finally get dressed as the sky starts to darken outside of the window you think about the situation you've found yourself in. You are still hurt by her words but you are also aware of how you haven't given yourself to the friendship between you on the same level she has, and you know it must hurt her just the same. You want to come clean and tell her everything but you're scared that she won't want to listen anymore or worse yet that she will listen and realize that you're baggage she doesn't want to carry with her.

You get dressed slowly and make your way into the kitchen where Bowie is sitting at the counter looking over some papers next to the greasy unopened bags of Nandos. You walk over and he looks up, one of your space fizz lollipops in his mouth. You raise your eyebrow at the stolen candy but he just smiles.

"What are the papers for?" you ask.

"Recipes. I'm thinking of expanding my product line so to speak. What are your opinions on macaroons?"

You laugh, opening one of the bags and popping a fry into your mouth.

"Can't say I've ever had one, let alone a macaroon as specially made as yours would be. Maybe try something simpler? Ramsey even has trouble making those," You say, flinching when you realize that you just mentioned the very person you're avoiding.

The one thing Bowie and Ramsey have in common is a talent for baking or rather Ramsey is talented and Bowie has had a lot of practice for obvious reasons. He picks up on your mood shift and pats your shoulder.

"You gonna go to her today?" He asks.

You go to answer but are interrupted by the doorbell to the apartment ringing. Bowie types on his laptop to check the external camera and makes an amused face when he sees who's at the door. He turns the screen to you. It's Ramsey standing outside the door, looking anxiously into the camera, her backpack weighing heavily on her shoulders.

"I guess your playing hard to get worked. Are you going to let her in?" Bowie asks.

"Haha,' you say deadpan, 'of course."

He nods and buzzes the door by pressing the enter key, unlocking the door so Ramsey can get into the stairwell and up to the apartment. Bowie's self-made security system is fairly advanced, a necessity with the amount of product the apartment is storing. He has grand ideas of expanding his services beyond drugs and drug-laced foods and with your moral compass firmly in the grey, you are rooting for him.