Chapter 21: Piercing Light - Part 1

✧.* -2023: Somewhere in Portugal ✧.*

After the picturesque speedboat trip, after having initially landing in Portugal and taking a few different taxis to hopefully confuse any tails, you, Little B, and Jakob arrive at Jakob's safehouse slash bachelor pad along the sea. It's hot as hell but the sea breeze cools you down as you disembark.

You lug your backpack behind you, practically skipping from excitement at being on land after the long time spent on the water. You walk behind Jakob and Little B as the three of you walk into the main building, everything covered in a thick layer of dust, too still with disuse except for the path to a red door with a pin pad beside it.

Jacob taps the passcode in and you memorize the sequence for no particular reason, it's the same as his phone and the pin for his credit card. It's surprisingly unsafe and it makes Jakob seem just a bit more human which for the first time makes you worry. The three of you are going to make it out of the situation fine, right? You swallow down the sudden bolt of anxiety, not wanting to interfere with the vacation-like atmosphere you and Jacob have been cultivating in order to put Little B at ease.

Jacob drags the door open when it unlocks and you and Little B follow him into what looks very much like the old mine it was originally. You hear the faintest rubber squeak of Jacob's Crocs as he takes a step and you stifle a laugh at the absurdity of such a large man wearing something so juvenile. You feel momentarily at ease as you listen to Jacob explain the warehouse, looking around at the modified cave. The rock ceiling is high overhead and different mechanical and automotive projects litter the ground. A tech area with numerous monitors displaying security camera footage is off to the side. In the middle of the floor is a suspiciously car-shaped object shrouded in a black tarp. You have a faint idea of which of Jacob's projects lay under it but you say nothing, not wanting to ruin the surprise for Little B, a born car nut.

Little B looks around in awe and interest as Jacob fiddles with something at the tech station. You see the darkening of Little B's face out of the corner of your eye and you steel yourself for the kid's disappointment. Nobody is here but you guys and there should be. Dom should be.

"You said we'd meet him here," Little B says, trying to dampen some of the heavy disappointment in his voice with a questioning lilt.

Jakob turns around meeting both your and Little B's eyes. You see something like anxiety flash in his eyes before he buries it, scoffing jokingly and walking over to his nephew. He puts a reassuring hand on the kid's shoulder.

"Hey, you know your dad. He's gotta make it safe, we'll just wait," Jakob says, looking around the room, likely for something to occupy Little B with.

Little B seems to accept Jakob's words, mature beyond his years. He walks up to Jakob and hugs him, Jokob's eyes going wide at the sudden contact.

"I love you, Uncle Jakob," he says.

Jakob hugs him back reluctantly, as if not used to displays of affection, something that you know to be true. Jakob is the definition of a gentle giant, and likely more than a little touch starved despite how much he hangs off you and his few other friends.

Little B disengages from Jakob and darts over to you, hugging you as well.

"And I love you Aunt y/n!" he says, voice muffled from where he is pressing his face into your side.

You laugh, hugging him back with a smile.

"I love you too little dude," you say.

The Torettos and all of your friends are your family and you wouldn't have it any other way, even if part of you longs for the vision of a family you had so long ago. Something you know you have to give up but the habit of clutching that mental image, taking it out in your mind and memorizing every detail, it's a part of you that is not easily changed. It's a life you won't ever regret because it's not one you've lived or ever will.