Chapter 6: The Beginning of Suffering

Your father bolts forward causing Dante to jump up to protect you only making the situation worse because now he looks like even more of a threat. You jump up and dash between them, pushing on your father's chest and yelling over his frenzied questioning that Dante is your friend and to not hurt him. Your father goes silent looking down at you in confusion and you almost breathe a sigh of relief before the orderly passes the two of you and grabs at Dante, who evades him easily. Dante darts around the room, the orderly close behind, as you and your father stand almost shellshocked in the middle of the room.

"Who is he?" Dante asks as he continues to make the orderly run around the room in pursuit, jumping on the sparse furniture and running around like some twisted version of the floor is lava.

"My father!" you shout at him before turning back to your father, pleading with growing tears of panic in your eyes.

"Please Dad, it's not what it looks like! We've been friends for years, he's not dangerous at all! At least not to us just tell him to stop so we can explain!" you beg, gesturing to the orderly who has not stopped his attempts at capturing Dante.

The orderly is now red-faced and practically screaming obscenities as he just barely captured Dante before being dodged yet again. The spilled pile of two year's worth of contraband is sprayed across the bed and floor, shining harshly under the fluorescent light. Your father's face is rife with a complex collection of emotions, the most prominent being betrayal, followed by anger, fear, and curiosity. His face more than promises that you have hell to pay but he surprises you by shouting for the orderly to stop.

The orderly does so out of instinct, looking at your father warily. Dante also stops, balancing precariously on his dresser. He looks at you, you can see the way his chest rises and falls rapidly from the exertion of evading the orderly, but with the way his hands shake and his eyes are wet and dark, you know he is just as terrified as you are in this moment if not more.

You turn back to your dad to continue to make your's and Dante's case but are interrupted by three more orderlies running down the hall and into Dante's room. They quickly survey the situation before all of them practically pounce towards Dante who yelps, the tears in his eyes springing forward as they all grab at him, tearing him off the dresser and tossing him onto the floor with a painful-sounding thump. They almost dogpile him, one getting on his body while the rest grab his flailing limbs. Dante's shouting is cut off by the orderly on top of him, his breaths becoming labored wheezing.

You don't think at all before you run and jump on the orderly who is sitting on Dante's chest, effectively getting him off your friend and onto the tile. You hear Dante breathe in gulps of air behind you and as you roll around slapping at the orderly, you know you did the right thing to act quickly, consequences be damned. Your father joins the fight between you and the orderly, you can hear both him and Dante screaming your names and for the man to stop, but before your father can get you away from the orderly your face is clipped by the man's fist, sending you backward and into the metal bed frame. Your cheek and the side of your head smack the bar, a thump ringing out in the immediately silenced room. You are instantly dazed, sprawled out on the floor as the world fades out before snapping back to reality with a vengeance.

You turn your head, eyes still fuzzy but clear enough to see your father beating the absolute shit out of the orderly who hit you. You think to yourself how odd it is that he can fight so quietly, before you notice the deafening ring in your ears growing in the silence. The ringing explodes back into sound and you can hear panicked screaming from Dante calling out for you, your father cussing out the now bloodied orderly, and the rest of the orderlies shouting and cursing. More people enter the room as you pull yourself up, shaking your head to clear it. You touch your cheek and your hand comes away bloody, you go back to explore the area which throbs dully and you feel a cut lengthwise, running along your now split cheekbone.