Chapter 13: Microcosm

✧.* -2023: Los Angeles- ✧.*

When you finally touch down at LAX twenty-four hours after you got on your first plane in Rome, you are more than ready to pass out somewhere and hope that someone swoops in and fixes your slowly imploding life for you. You can feel that the events in Rome have set off a chain reaction that you have no power to stop, and the sense of being caught in someone else's trap is only growing as time goes on.

You get a text from Jakob saying that he has Little B and is at your house with your father. You know your house is probably the only safe-ish place they can be in L.A. at the moment due to the fact you wouldn't be on anyone's radar as a connection to Dominic's crew. Sure you are on the periphery, but you've been kept in the dark for a reason. You would be a footnote at best as Jakob's ex-partner, something you pretend doesn't bother you.

You go to where you have your car parked in the airport lot and get in. Your car is a 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS in lavender with gold accents and flame decals on the side. It is fully tricked out with hydraulics and converted into a full-on low rider courtesy of Jakob, yourself, and some friends you've made in the racing and low rider scenes over the years. Your childhood love of cars and vehicles has only become stronger over time and now that you are successful enough to indulge in the passion you have a hard time with moderation.

You really shouldn't have driven it to the airport, who knows what could have happened to it while you were gone, but your need for flash and speed overwrote your logic and you're thankful to your past self for that. You know Jakob is going to be pissed when he sees you pull up in it but as you speed (within the legal limits) through the streets of L.A. toward home, you don't really care because you can't help but feel like this may be the last time you feel so free.

You make it home from the airport in record time and pull into your two-car garage. You park next to your three motorcycle babies, a neon pink Kawasaki Vulcan 900 you call your Barbie mobile, a cherry red 1999 Indian Chief that is more your father's than yours, and a custom lavender and gold 2007 Triumph Street Triple R that you are definitely on a watchlist with the L.A.P.D. for racing on.

You smile over at them, they look perfectly taken care of in your absence which you know you have your dad to thank for. You make a mental note to buy a Vespa as soon as whatever the hell is going on is all over so you can complete your completely unnecessary collection of vehicles. You haven't raced much recently due to being so busy with your career you haven't had the time or the bandwidth for taking risks, but in the stress of the situation now you long for the controlled chaos of racing.

You hop out of your car, nervous about seeing everyone inside as you feel like the world has shifted, and you aren't sure where to stand. You don't know what that means for you or if they have realized it too.

You walk inside, bag in hand, bracing for a tense reunion but what you see when you walk in has you questioning your sanity. All of the lights are out and blinds drawn and Little B is standing on the kitchen island covered in finger-painted designs in glow-in-the-dark paint. Jakob and your dad stand in the kitchen looking like kids caught in the cookie jar, their hands glowing neon.

You quickly deduce what you've walked in on. Jakob's spy-level tool kit lies open at their feet with jars of neon paint open on the counter, you can see your dad's sheepish smile and Jacob's caught-in-the-act look. You giggle lowly, shocked to the point of being slightly delirious, not expecting to see something so silly in the midst of what feels so serious. You shake your head then laugh out loud and Little B's face breaks into a smile.

"Aunt y/n! You're back!" He says excitedly before jumping off the kitchen island and running over to you.

He flings his arms around you and you smile down at him.