- Chapter One -

- Authors Note -

Hello,

Thank you for checking out what was my first attempt at a fanfiction. I hope you enjoy it.

Before you read this story

First up, this is set in an alternate universe. In my version Natasha Romanoff is 20 and Clint Barton is 22, everyone else is their MCU age. The story is set about 6 months after the events of The Avengers. The story doesn't follow the MCU pathway but may have minor and maybe some major spoilers.

I have not researched the Marvel characters backgrounds much beyond reading other fanfictions and watching the Movies and TV shows. The plot line is mine (apart from a few hints from the MCU) as are one or two characters.

The well known Marvel characters obviously belong to Marvel/Disney.

I hope the characters aren't too out of character, but remember Natasha and Clint are younger so I may show a bit more of their feelings than their MCU versions do.

One last important thing.

I have set the rating to everyone, however, I do advise reader discretion. There are some potentially disturbing topics such as self harm, suicide and torture. There will also be mentions of nightmares, depression and other adult themes. (Please note this does not include sex scenes as I am not comfortable writing that kind of thing). I have endeavoured to use these themes as tastefully and respectfully as I can. I appreciate you heeding this warning.

The Actual Last Thing

I would love to hear your comments: feedback, constructive and OMGs are all welcome. Please vote if you like it because this is what inspires me to write.

Thank you for choosing this book to read. 

-------------------------------------------------------

- Chapter One -

A whirlwind of colour and sound assaulted Natasha's senses from all sides forcing her to work to maintain a relaxed demeanour while on high alert. Soft orchestral music competed with dozens of conversations all around them. Stunning silk gowns and smart tuxedos adorned every guest in the large ballroom. Several hundred people had filled the room in support of the local children's charity feeding, clothing and educating underprivileged children worldwide. Each guest had arrived decked out in silks, gold and jewels. Privately Natasha knew even one of the guests' outfits would cost more than enough to feed, clothe and educate a child for a year. She couldn't stop a small frown from creasing her brow for an instant as the Princess's bodyguard was jostled. Several ladies had crowded around, inadvertently pushing the guard back, hoping to speak to her highness about the charity they had gathered to fundraise for. She kept her body language and facial expression pleasant and relaxed as she maintained her position. Her cover as the Princess's aide for the night kept her close by if she was needed, but also required her to engage with guests. Her borrowed forest green gown was fancy enough to fit in, but not enough to stand out, enabling her to be a close shadow for the Princess without being noticed by many of the guests.

"Widow?" Barton's voice sounded in her ear. She acknowledged him with the barest tilt of her head. "Security is pulling back. If somethings going to happen, it'll be soon."

Natasha raised her gaze to one of the shadowed marble balconies, meeting his gaze for a moment before returning to scanning the guests around the Princess. She moved closer, noticing the bodyguard had drawn back even further.

"Your Highness," Natasha spoke in a low tone. She waited, watching their surroundings as the Princess acknowledged her briefly before beginning to extract herself politely from the conversation.