- Chapter Twenty Five -

Natasha slowly let her eyes flutter open. She could feel Clint's steady breath against her neck. His arms were tight around her, holding her close, as if afraid she would disappear if he let her go for a moment. She allowed herself a small smile relaxing into his embrace for a few moments. Light filtered through the curtains, letting her know Phil would already be up and about waiting for them. Sighing, she carefully extracted herself from Clint's arms. He barely acknowledged her movement, he still hadn't slept well despite knowing she was ok.

"Sleep, Clint," Natasha whispered softly as he rolled over. Digging through the bag she assumed Clint had packed she found a clean change of clothes and headed for the shower.

"Morning, Phil," Natasha joined Phil on the porch, coffee in hand.

"How are you, Natasha?" He matched her soft tone, looking up from where he had been staring down at the ground.

"Much better this morning," she sat down on the porch steps, gazing across the fields. "Everything seems to be all healed up."

"Good," Phil paused apprehensively. "And Clint?"

"He barely slept but he'll get there," Natasha shook her head. "Never, never let Fury do anything like that again."

"I won't," Phil promised.

"I mean it, Phil," Natasha hardened her tone. "You nearly lost both of us." She paused, "If you hadn't given him that shred of hope when you did..." She trailed off, unable to say the words.

"Natasha," He waited for her to meet his eyes, "I promise." She held his gaze as she nodded sharply.

"Do we know if the charade worked?" Natasha changed the subject.

"Not yet, Clint took off without any way to contact him," Phil sighed. "We presume Medvedev has been informed and he will want to confirm your death for himself. I spoke to Fury, he told me there are several missed calls on your cell phone."

"That will be Medvedev trying to confirm it," Natasha shook her head. "Everyone on base saw me dead right?" At Phil's nod she continued, "And the machines confirmed it?" Another nod, "Is there any reason for anyone to believe anything different?"

"I don't believe so," Phil shook his head. "As long as Clint continues to play his part, there will be no reason to suspect otherwise."

"He'll do what needs to be done," Natasha insisted. "Have you found the leak yet?"

"We're investigating several leads," Phil sighed.

"Phil?"

"I have a suspect, it's someone on my team," Phil's face fell. "Natasha, I'm so sorry. It's my fault you've been in danger again."

"Phil, look at me. Look at me," Natasha waited for him to meet her gaze. "You couldn't have known. Even Fury didn't know that SHIELD was compromised until recently. You are allowed to feel betrayed, Phil. That person has chosen to hide their true intentions in order to betray you over and over."

"I used to be better than this," Phil shook his head. "I used to see it coming a mile off."

"You were assigned a team vetted by Fury and Hill," Natasha reminded him. "They didn't suspect anything, so why would you?"

"The evidence is very well hidden," Clint joined them, slumping down to sit next to Natasha. "Even we missed it multiple times." He leaned his head down on her shoulder. "We won't hold it against you, Phil."

"Thank you," Phil sighed.

"Sleep well?" Natasha asked Clint softly.

"A little better than I expected," He replied equally softly.