- Chapter Eight -

"We'll split up," Maria declared as she drove into town. "Two hours, Natasha and I will sort out what hair dyes and makeup we'll need. You boys can get us a few days worth of food and a laptop. Everyone should pick up a change or two of clothes and new burner phones. Throw away the ones SHIELD left for us."

"Use one person's card, get cash out then ditch it," Natasha added quietly. "I wouldn't trust these identities as far as I could throw them. Most of them are pretty old."

"If anything happens, head for the last town we came through," Maria added. "Meet by the clocktower at 10am tomorrow." Everyone nodded their agreement as she pulled the car into a carpark in the shopping area.

"Here," Natasha passed out the documents they had been supplied with.

"Major Susan Turner," Maria shook her head. "This one isn't too old."

"Jake Jensen," Steve shook his head. "They didn't have many to choose from I guess."

"William James," Clint nodded. "One of my old Army covers."

"Sarah Jordan," Natasha raised an eyebrow, remembering the mission she had used that cover on.

"Let's go," Maria sighed.

They split up, the boys headed towards the nearest electronics shop, the girls headed for one of the supermarkets. They moved through the shops quickly, only lingering long enough to remain inconspicuous and buying a few items here and there not to draw attention to the quantity they were collecting. Once they had collected all they needed, they grabbed some lunch and snacks for the road before heading back to the car. Steve and Clint met them at the car right on time. Clint took over driving while Natasha took the front passenger seat, letting Maria and Steve rest in the back. 

"Clint and I need to make a short detour," Natasha announced, pulling the car over on the side of the road in another small city. She had taken over driving about an hour previously after Clint had driven for several hours.

"Is that wise?" Maria asked, unsure.

"It could prove helpful in a day or two," Clint answered, immediately understanding what Nat had in mind.

"We'll meet you at the shopping centre just down the road," Natasha told them. "We'll carry on somewhere else for the night."

"Be careful," Maria sighed. "Don't go putting yourselves in danger."

"We won't," Clint nodded to Natasha. "One hour," He assured Maria as they both slipped from the car vanishing into a nearby alleyway. Together they ran down the narrow path between overflowing garbage bins, using their momentum to propel them up the two metre high brick wall at the end. Quickly dropping down the other side, they skirted the edge of a construction yard before slipping out the gate into the busy street. Natasha crossed the road leaving Clint to continue down the footpath. A block down, Clint crossed the road passing in front of her turning down the side street. Separately, they moved along the streets checking that no one was following them.

Natasha entered the lobby of the apartment building heading straight up the stairs. She paused to greet one of their neighbours as she walked down the hall to their top floor apartment.

She turned the key in the lock as she pressed her thumb to the scanner she had revealed just above the door handle. One hand went to the Glock concealed in the back of her waistband, drawing it and flicking the safety off. She cleared the lounge in one glance, stepping into the apartment and pulling the door shut behind her. Keeping the Glock pointing to the ground as she headed for the small balcony. Unlocking the sliding door she pushed it open.