- Chapter Eleven -

Fury stood silently by the window, staring out into the carpark. Maria was frowning at the ground from where she sat next to Steve on the couch. Coulson crossed to stand next to the kitchen door. Steve watched curiously as Natasha stopped a few steps from the door to the bedroom, Clint paused half a step behind her and to her right. Everyone silently waited for someone else to break the silence.

"So, Hydra?" Fury asked, without moving.

"Yes Sir," Natasha sighed. "Cut off one head, two more shall take its place-"

"Hydra's motto," Steve spoke up bitterly. "I thought Hydra died with the Red Skull."

"-He said they infiltrated SHIELD seventy years ago," Natasha continued.

"Operation Paperclip," Fury spat. "German scientists with strategic value were recruited, there were a few from Hydra among them."

"According to Lisov, they've been recruiting and training ever since," Natasha continued. "He said that they are in the highest levels of SHIELD. Medvedev may take over from Lisov, but neither of them can be the real head."

"If he is right about the top levels of SHIELD, then the head is there or higher. It must be in the Council or a world government somewhere," Fury sighed. "That doesn't narrow it down at all."

"One other thing, Sir," Natasha spoke quietly. "His plan; it was to turn me and have me eliminate you, Hill, Coulson, and The Avengers."

"What a surprise," Fury rolled his eye as he turned to face them. "Well you put a stop to that."

"Yes Sir," Natasha replied. "But the words, they would have worked."

"Lisov said he was the only one alive who knew these words," Clint reminded her. "If that's true then they are lost now."

"What if he was lying?" Natasha snapped softly.

"It's a risk," Fury agreed. "This just means we have to do better to keep you away from Medvedev."

"Natasha," Coulson turned to her. "You remember how Dr Clare helped you when you arrived at SHIELD, you can use those techniques again with what you know of this set of words. It might be enough."

"I'll try," Natasha nodded.

"You have people here you can trust with this," Coulson reminded her softly. "They'll help however they can."

"I'm sorry I couldn't get more out of him," Natasha apologised.

"You did the right thing Natasha," Fury skipped his usual formalities. "It was the only thing you could do."

"My team has the perimeter secure," Coulson announced. "Still no sign of the authorities."

"Lisov would have organised that they don't show up," Natasha shrugged. "He has contacts everywhere."

"I'll get my team to check it out," Coulson nodded.

"Did you get the identities sorted?" Fury asked.

"Yes Sir, we should have them by tomorrow," Natasha nodded. "I'll draw funds from several of the SHIELD identities to pay for them."

"Money's all there, and more," Fury waved a hand at a briefcase on the dining table. "Figured SHIELD has to help you out somehow."

"Thank you, Sir," Steve was the one to respond.

"You'll all need to be extra careful from now on," Fury glared at them all. "Don't take any risks, stay hidden."

"We were planning to split up to travel today," Maria informed Fury. "Barton and Romanoff together, Steve and I together. We'll work on meeting up either tonight or after they get the identities tomorrow."