- Chapter Twenty Two -

"Hill text asking to see us for a minute," Clint greeted her in the hallway.

"She messaged me as well," Natasha nodded. "It must be important."

"Come in," Steve greeted them at Maria's door.

Natasha and Clint shared a look before advancing into the room. Both frowned as they caught sight first of Nick pacing the room then Commander Hill slumped on the couch, head in hands.

"What's going on?" Clint asked.

"Hill has just confirmed it," Fury broke the silence that followed the question. "Ward is Hydra."

"I needed to clear my head after..." She trailed off. "I decided to work on Ward's file to see what I could find. We missed it at first."

"It was staring us in the face the whole time," Steve muttered. "Little things; Ward's recruitment, handpicked by Garrett, his initial failure of SHIELD's psychiatric tests turning into a clean pass."

"Gaps in the training at SHIELD where Garrett had him out for periods of time during key parts of training. Missions going awry, information on targets being lost," Maria added. "He's the leak in our system here. There's no doubt left. We thought you ought to know."

"Where's Phil?" Clint snapped searching the room. "He should be here to hear this."

"No one will tell Phil Coulson anything," Fury thundered, eyeing them each in turn.

"Sir, with all due respect, Phil is his handler he needs to know," Clint straightened, stepping forward.

"Phil Coulson knew, and he didn't bring this to me," Fury growled.

"How do you know he knew?" Clint snapped.

"He had to know, there are more than enough signs that a handler wouldn't miss even from the last six months," Fury snapped back.

"Phil believes the best of everyone, maybe he's just hoping to turn Ward back," Clint sighed.

"The man died, he hasn't been the same since," Fury sighed. "Who's to say he doesn't have Hydra sympathies now?"

"Phil would never," Clint snapped, immediately on the defensive, getting in Fury's face. Tension in the room skyrocketed as Fury reached for his gun. Steve took half a step forward.

"You're doubting Phil's loyalty?" Natasha stepped between the two men, gently pushing Clint backwards to create space between them. Clint put one arm around her waist, leaning his forehead down on her shoulder as he fought to even out his breathing. "The man died to stop Loki." She lowered her tone, you could hear the venom in her sharp words. "How dare you, Nick, he would never betray you like that. Not for anyone. Not even for us." She waited as Fury weighed the truth of her words. His hand dropped from his gun. One sharp nod and the matter was settled.

Natasha immediately turned her back on Fury, the threat passed, she gently pushed Clint back a few more steps. "Clint?"

"Tasha," Clint tried to soften his tone. "He would never. Phil would never."

"I know, Clint," Natasha whispered. "I know. Nick knows. None of us knows who to trust anymore. This is what Medvedev wants. To divide us."

"He's succeeding," Clint sighed, slumping to the floor against the wall.

"Not if you don't let him," Natasha reminded him kneeling in front of him. "You have a choice too. Just like you told me."

"Phil needs to know what you know," Clint glared at Fury.

"I'll talk to him," Fury agreed. "You are right, Phil would never join Hydra."

"We'd better get to the gym," Natasha pushed herself off the floor, "Don't want to be late."