- Chapter Twenty One -

"So Phil, your new kids are an interesting bunch." Clint commented, returning from putting their plates in the dishwasher.

"They make a pretty good team."

"Two science kids, two specialists, and a hacker turned trainee?" Clint asked. "Seems like there's a story or two there."

"More than a few. We were responding to 084's and supernatural style occurrences," Phil told them.

"The 084 in Peru, that was you?" Natasha asked, returning with coffee for each of them.

"It was," Phil nodded. "How did you hear about that?"

"Fury had a mission for us, he arrived late to the briefing, fuming about a hijacked plane over Peru. Said if the other job wasn't so important, he'd send us in to knock a few heads together," Clint laughed.

"I wonder who Fury meant by that, the hijackers or us?" Phil mused.

"I meant the hijackers, but I was counting on them knocking some sense into you and your team as well," Fury announced his presence. "I sent you all in to secure the 084, not to almost start a war."

"Because these two would have diffused the tension?" Phil looked askance.

"They might have saved the plane from the massive hole you put in it," Fury answered. "But you managed to get the job done without the war."

"I resent the implication that the two of us might have actually caused a war, Phil," Clint huffed.

"What did you two do in Budapest?" Coulson eyed the two young agents.

"Not start a war," Natasha replied.

"Fine, not a war, but it looked like a war zone by the time you were done," Coulson conceded.

"It was a disaster is what it was," Fury joined them at the table, a plate in one hand and a coffee mug in the other.

"Like Milan," Phil sighed.

"Milan wasn't that bad," Clint protested.

"We blew up a building," Natasha reminded him. "We were supposed to be keeping a low profile."

"It was an empty building," Clint argued. "Well mostly, and there was no collateral."

"We still had to fight off most of the man's private army after that," Natasha reminded him.

"We've had worse," Clint objected.

"Yes, you have, like all the times you've nearly died," Phil sighed.

"If they weren't such an effective team, they'd have been out on their asses long ago," Fury frowned. "The amount they cost SHIELD in medical bills," He shook his head in disapproval.

"Come on, Nick," Clint smirked. "You'd never get rid of us; you enjoy using us to piss the Council off too much." He nudged Natasha directing her attention to the wide-eyed stares coming from the other table.

"I would never actively work to piss the Council off," Fury turned his glare on him.

"Of course not, Sir, my mistake," Clint had to hold back a snort as he caught the mischievous glint hidden in Fury's eye.

"I rather agree with them, sometimes you two are more trouble than you're worth," Fury acknowledged. "But you are also some of the best agents SHIELD has ever seen."

"Was that a compliment, Sir?" Clint asked, feigning complete shock.

"It was an insult, Barton," Fury glared. "I don't give out compliments."