- Chapter Twenty Eight -

"Sitwell? Isn't that the guy Fury wanted to take over from Coulson?"

"Good thing you refused to allow him in your tower right?" Clint asked tiredly.

"How did you identify them?"

"Natasha-" He paused to take a deep breath. "She found connections in mission reports and we went from there."

"Hmm," Tony mused.

"Stay out of it, Stark. No one can know, we know about Hydra. You'd only be painting a target on your forehead as well as those you care about."

"No one will find out from me," Stark promised. "But I want the rest of my team home."

"Rogers will be back as soon as we take down Medvedev," Clint sighed.

"What about you? You will come back, won't you?" Pepper asked.

"Sorry Pepper. I quit the Avengers," Clint shook his head. "I'm not coming back."

"You can't quit the Avengers," Tony exclaimed.

"Too late, Stark, I already did." Clint snapped, "You guys don't need me, and without Nat, I can't stay."

"They do need you, Clint," Pepper admonished. "And I think you need them too."

"I can't Pepper, I just can't," Clint whispered. "Look, I gotta go."

"Take care of yourself, Clint." Pepper ordered. "And make sure you come back even just for a visit when this is over. You'll always be welcome."

"Thanks Pepper," Clint smiled. "Look after the boys for me would you? And Stark, stop planning idiotic ways to get me back."

"I'll get you back here, Pepper's right, we do need you," His tone was genuine. "Call us if you need anything."

Clint hung up with a slight frown, "Stark cares about me?"

"Stark cares about the team much more than he's willing to show," Natasha sighed. "That's why he was so easy to get. As soon as he realised we were all misfits that could do good together, he had to be in. Even if we 'didn't' want him." She paused, "He even went to Fury to buy the team after New York so no one could be held accountable for the destruction we caused."

"Fury wouldn't let us go," Clint raised an eyebrow.

"He refused to let Stark buy anyone," Natasha smirked. "As for us, you know he ordered us to go if Stark offered, he told me it would be for the best. He was protecting you the best way he could. SHIELD wasn't safe for you."

"F#####g Fury," Clint rolled his eyes. "He never shares the whole story."

"No he doesn't," Phil agreed from where he'd sat across the room from them.

"No, but he does care about us," Natasha sighed. "He always tries to do what's best."

"Don't defend him Nat," Clint growled softly.

"He doesn't need me to," Natasha reminded him. "Now, go, get cleaned up, I'm going for a nap after I finish this coffee."

"Both of you, get some sleep," Phil advised. "You can help work on tracking Ward later."

"Thanks Phil," Clint nodded, heading for the bathroom.

"He's been cleared from concussion," Phil told Natasha quietly once the door was shut. "You both need to be careful though, stay warm and rest."

"We will Phil," Natasha agreed. "Any idea when Fury wants to meet?"

"The afternoon is soon enough, get a few hours rest," Phil sighed. "Either of you need anything, you call me, ok?"