Chapter 30

Hey, guys! I'm so sorry for the lack of updates this past weekend (and Monday)! If you're wondering why, just look at the last chapter's author's note, I'm sure you'll put two and two together.... I hope you're not too upset! Fortunately, luck seems to be on my side because this week I'm coming off from school early due to final exams (but not so fortunately, that means studying for it xp). Again, I deeply apologize and I hope you like this part! Happy reading!

Merida

After that not-so-happy (okay, it was depressing) talk with Anna and Elsa during lunch and after school ended for the day, I started heading back to the dorm. It was a quiet and calm afternoon, with the occasional chirp of a bird as I walked through the courtyard, and I was more than ready to take a relaxing nap in my soft, comfy bed. School had been nothing but stress and torture as more and more of my teachers started piling on more homework and not to mention projects. It seemed like well, except for Ms. Tremaine who still kept her part of the deal, every one of my teachers seemed like they had gotten together and had made sure that they would put as much homework and work as it was legally possible. I guess it's like what Mr. Naveen said, with Survival of the Fittest and all. Taking a nap for maybe just a few minutes would definitely help my stress-induced brain relax and rest...before being tormented to a mental breakdown (it absolutely confuses me to no end as to why Elsa hasn't had one yet with all of the advanced college classes she's taking).

No one was there in the dorm so that meant I had it for myself for maybe at least an hour before they came back from wherever they were (probably out for some ice cream, which I was totally fine with). I dropped my backpack onto the floor next to me bed and was about to head into the kitchen to grab a snack when someone tapped me on my shoulder. On instinct, I grabbed my spare bow and arrow I hid in the dorm and pointed it to the intruder. If there was one good thing that came from my mum's etiquette lessons was that ladies don't scream. And I just happened to add something to that: they don't scream and they definitely fight back.

"Merida, it's just me!"

"Hiccup?" I said, slowly lowering my bow. "What in Mor'du's name are you doing here? And creeping up on me like that!"

"Sorry, sorry," Hiccup said, still trying to catch his breath. "But hey, if I gave you just a few goosebumps, then you almost gave me a heart attack! Yeesh, Mer, really? You were going to put an arrow to my forehead?"

"Some people carry guns and knives to protect themselves," I shrugged. "What difference does a bow and arrow make?

"How did you even get in here in the first place?" I asked, changing the subject because I knew that we were going to be on that topic all day if someone didn't start talking about something else.

He pointed to the door. "It was already open."

"Well, it would have been greatly appreciated if you'd have knocked," I sighed, going to my bag and rifling through it to get an energy bar.

"Sorry," Hiccup said, "it's just that...Mer, we need to talk."

I tensed slightly at the way he said the word "talk." This could only mean one thing.

"About what?" I asked slowly. Maybe I was being too paranoid and he just came over and wanted to talk about the weather or something. But knowing Hiccup, it's probably that or something and not about how we've been getting tons of rain here for the past few weeks.

"About the kiss," Hiccup said.

I was surprised that his voice didn't falter or waver because whenever I even thought about the word, my hands would clench until it was white and I would get these weird goosebumps that I have no idea how to get rid of (it's been presenting itself ever since I went out on that thing with Hiccup).

I stood up as straight as I could and faced him. If he was going to be an adult, then I'm going to be an adult when talking about this because no one hates it more than I do when girls and guys get into huge arguments about "not being communicative enough." So we were going to sort this out like two mature adults.

"What about it?" I said.

"What about it?" Hiccup looked flabbergasted. "Merida, you kissed me. Kissed me. We can't keep pretending that that didn't happen between us. Look, I know that you feel it too, that there's this sort of tension between us ever since the kiss. We have to get this sorted out because otherwise, we're just going to keep acting like strangers around each other."

"All right," I said slowly. I was speaking so slowly and so often that I wouldn't have blamed Hiccup if he thought that I had something wrong with me right now (and I do. It's called confusion).

"Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush and just cut to the chase," Hiccup said, and I noticed with surprise that he looked really determined now. Like, there was this fire that was in his eyes. I could really tell he wanted to say what he was going to say. "All I want to know is," he paused, a bit of color spotting his cheeks now, "if..." he started to mutter something.

"Er, Hiccup?" I smiled a little. I was trying to be as encouraging and supportive to him as I could because whatever this thing he wanted to admit, it seemed like it was going to eat him up if he didn't say it now. "I can't really hear you."

He blushed some more and cleared his throat as if he was going to say something that would change the world. "All I want to know is, Merida, is that if you like me. Because I definitely do."

"You definitely like yourself?" I said, pretending to look confused.

Hiccup looked even more flustered and tried to explain, when I started laughing softly. He stopped looking so embarrassed and mortified and his eyes seemed to soften. I walked closer to him and looked straight into his forest green eyes that I always seemed to get lost into.

"I can't blame you though," I said quietly as I pulled him into a kiss, "because I definitely like you."