Chapter 05

Living the "good life" was not as easy as it seemed, at least financially as reflected in her accounts. Eleanor became careless with her spending, confident in her "small fortune", she could no longer depend on the interest on her bank account and investment, which was not what she expected, neglecting her future financial stability was bad. She got used to not having to watch how much she spent, shopping carefree was a dream.

She had been taking courses so as not to get bored (all interesting to her), but also shopping to indulge herself, cooking at home is more thrifty than eating out, yet she went through a time of gourmet palate going to restaurants and tea rooms. So, even if she was paranoid about running out of money, she should at least secure her housing, she had been putting off buying one by the time of her graduation, because she planned to live in university accommodation. At least she had reserved her share of the sale of the Evans' house; that would help with the purchase.

It took him a month to find a place she liked and agreed on the price. She got a flat with 3 bedrooms and a terrace on the top floor of a converted 4-story property near the center of London. It was unexpected to discover this architectural gem, each flat had a balcony facing the front, except for the last one which had an exclusive terrace. The façade was elegant, the neighbors were apparently friendly and not at all gossipy, and the property allowed animals, children, and plants.

The first time she went to see the property she fell in love with the place and its spacious rooms, in addition, the bathroom had plug sockets, something she had not seen before in any of the properties she had visited, and according to one of the real estate consultants it was not customary in English homes, whether it was true or not, up to that moment it seemed to be as it was.

She moved in straight away after painting and bringing in the basic furniture, she took her time to decorate and make the place her own.

She worked for Severus for a while, the wizard opened a business where he sold ingredients for potions and preparations on demand, the Apothecary was at a distance from his competitors but close to Gringotts bank.

To avoid suspicion and facilitate her performance, she acquired a 27 cm applewood wand with a dragonheart fiber core made by Garrick Ollivander, as well as a case to carry it in, which surprised the manufacturer when she enquired about its price and quality. She left her position when she joined the public university located in the small town of St Andrews, in the county of Fife, Scotland. It was the oldest university in Scotland and one of the oldest in the UK, over 8 hours from London, but Eleanor could get there in less time using the vehicle that transported wizards and witches, whose speed was astonishing. This vehicle had 3 floors, was purple, and had "Night Bus" written on it in visible letters.

Eleanor's friends or acquaintances were few, and her level of sociability was returning to the original, as she adapted to her new life she stopped pretending to be someone else. She missed her loved ones, she was homesick and withdrew from the world to let off steam, she also went through complex moments in front of her mirror image, getting used to a new face, and another body was honestly a challenge overcome with mental effort.

One concern she had was that her memories were fading, and that was possibly what was helping her to adapt. She wasn't losing them, but they were becoming "frames from a movie", for lack of a better definition. She could remember if she thought about it, otherwise, it wasn't part of her daily routine.

Because Severus didn't become a Death Eater, Eleanor assumed that Voldemort wouldn't know about the prophecy. It was foolish to think that the plot wouldn't run its course just because everything seemed different.

She spat out her tea when she read the notice in the paper, theoretically, they were supposed to be looking for staff before school started. Sadly, everything went according to plan, but a year before the canon, she was too late to prevent Sybil Trelawney from passing on her prophecy. Eleanor was unable to find the witch before her interview. On an impulse, perhaps a "magical hunch", she went to Headmaster Dumbledore's brother's pub, for lack of a better idea, the plan was to knock the witch out, place her in an enchanted potato sack and carry her away until she finished her vision or whatever it was that caused the prophecies, then set her free to go on her way. But she stood with the bag in her hand watching as the witch looked stunned and a man in a black hooded cloak fled followed by the Dumbledore brothers.