Chapter 08

Albus Dumbledore advised James and Lily to go underground with the Fidelio charm. The Potters did so, moving to Godric's Hollow, they thought of Sirius Black to be their secret guardian. However, Sirius felt this was a rather obvious move, as he and James were best friends, so he suggested that another less obvious friend, Peter Pettigrew, be the secret guardian instead. In the interests of confidentiality, the Potters agreed and told no one else, not even Dumbledore, a big mistake.

Pettigrew had been working as a double agent for the Death Eaters, and out of fear or jealousy, he revealed the Potters' location to Lord Voldemort. Having been informed of half of the prophecy by a follower, Voldemort concluded that his mortal enemy was Harry Potter, for all the coincidences that had occurred.

He went to the Potter house in Godric's Hollow when he arrived he saw through the window James, Lily, and Harry in the same room, James was playing with Harry. He felt it trigger something, it was the feeling of a wire being cut.

James reached his son to Lily, shouting for her to take him to safety. Then Voldemort entered the house, intending to kill the child, but first, he would amuse himself for a few seconds. He underestimated the pair, but they were like mice before a great snake, he let them lead him to the baby, obviously, they would try to protect the child. He overcame the obstacles left against him and found them locked in a room with furniture blocking the door, time was pressing, and he had to accomplish his goal before help arrived.

Voldemort warned them several times to tell where the boy was, but they refused to stop protecting their son. He tortured them, their screams assuaging some of his discomforts, then thought to punish the useless Pettigrew for failing in his mission. Filled with rage and anger, he decided to kill them, but as he hurled the killing curse at the unconscious wizard and the babbling witch who watched him clench something in her fist, not understanding why, the curse ricocheted off an invisible wall, struck his body, killing him, and drove his completely unstable soul out of his body. The soul ripped from the destroyed body, emitted a muted scream, and after swirling, fled out into the night sky.

Albus Dumbledore was immediately alerted by one of his artifacts that something important had happened, he was not ready to leave, so he sent a messenger patronus to the Order member whose location was closest to the Potters' house, while he managed to get there.

At some point during the attack Peter Pettigrew in his animal form visited the house, he didn't get involved in the fight, he stood there shivering like a rat waiting. When his master screamed, he searched desperately for the boy, he knew what Lord Voldemort would do to him for giving him the wrong information.

It was a shock what happened to Voldemort, so he picked up the Dark Lord's wand, planning to hide it. Perhaps this act would mitigate his punishment when Voldemort returned to form, in his mind he could not conceive that the dark lord had been defeated.

The next few hours were chaotic. Sirius received an alert message in Godric's Hollow when he was at his workstation, thinking immediately of his friend he made an immediate appearance to get there, ignoring the other Aurors on duty who took a few minutes to follow him. He arrived and found the house visible, silent, the door shattered, and signs of a struggle. He ran up the stairs and found his damaged friends being checked by Sturgis Podmore, a member of the Order. The boy was not with them.

In desperation, he searched the house without success, remembered the suitcase and went to check it, but it was empty. Then he went to the bodies he thought dead.

- "Careful, Black," - Said Sturgis.

- "Report, Mr. Sturgis," - Asked a senior auror suddenly a few paces away.

Sirius was crying as he tried to help them, while Sturgis, who worked in the administrative area of the department, explained his theory of what had happened and what he found when he arrived. He lied that he had come to visit the family and was met with such a sight.