≈•Unexpected Duet•≈

(This is a continuation of "The Second Duel". Read that before coming to this one for context.)

It was the time of year again for the annual Hollyberry Kingdom ball! The scent of berries and flowers was heavy in the air. Pitaya Dragon could scent it from a mile away. They were trying to find a way into the palace without being so destructive. They had one thought on their mind: crash the ball. Meanwhile, on the inside, Dark Cacao was standing by Royal Berry and Hollyberry as Jungleberry made announcements. He wore a black hanbok with pale lilac sleeves, which had periwinkle details with small, delicate snowflakes. It had a fluffy gray collar with an embroidered cape attached to it. The cape bore a landscape image of hills and a night sky. On his head sat the same crown as before. His expression was still as dull as ever.

Pitaya was flying around the palace and spotted their way in. The garden had guards at the entrance, but it was open. A cookie couldn't climb the hedges, but Pitaya Dragon could fly over them and blend in with the crowd. They dived into the hedge maze and followed the crowd. Barely any cookies have seen their cookie form, so by just tucking in their wings they could be inside without any weird looks.

The ballroom was buzzing with excitement and joy when Pitaya Dragon entered. Some cookies had recognized them and given them space. As they made their way to the front, they spotted Dark Cacao. He looked so embarrassed and miserable. A slow song started playing, and an idea popped into Pitaya Dragon's head. With a grin they made their way to the front of the throne. "Ah! Hollyberry Cookie! Old friend!" they bellowed, immediately catching Hollyberry's attention. "Ah! YOU?! What are YOU doing here, you lizard?!" she exclaimed and grabbed Dark Cacao's hand. He looked quite pleased to see them. "I'm not here for chaossss today, I'm merely here to enjoy the ball like mossst cookiesss," they responded with a bow. Hollyberry eyed them suspiciously. "You weren't invited...do not make me drag you out myself!" She began reaching for her shield. Pitaya Dragon didn't think this through, and had no clue what to do next. They suddenly blurted, "MAY I HAVE THIS DANCE, DARK CACAO COOKIE?!?!"

The ballroom went quiet, the music stopped, and all eyes were on Pitaya Dragon as they extended a talon towards Dark Cacao. Hollyberry scoffed and was about to go down there herself, but Dark Cacao stopped her. Suddenly all eyes turned to Dark Cacao. "I would be delighted to take this dance." Dark Cacao took a quick bow before taking Pitaya Dragon's talons. Hollyberry looked shocked and had to stopped by Royal Berry before she did anything rash. As they strayed away from Hollyberry and the music started back up, Dark Cacao sighed in relief, "Thank you Pitaya Dragon...I thought I was going to have to dance..." Pitaya chuckled, "Oh... you're ssstill dancing!" Dark Cacao looked shocked as they were dragged into a dance. "Please excuse my terrible dancing skills..." Dark Cacao chuckled nervously, but Pitaya Dragon didn't mind. The other cookies seemed to fade away. Pitaya Dragon was confused. They didn't understand what was happening. Dark Cacao was currently their only focus. Something inside them felt.. good? Seeing him relieved made Pitaya feel something new. They threw a grin towards him. "It wassss nothing! Sssshe'sss a pain in the neck, ain't sssshe?" Dark Cacao chuckled slightly. He could enjoy the ball now in peace with his new old friend, dancing the night away.