i.ii - VILLAGE

TW: This chapter contains blood and gore! Closer to the end, however! —-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-–

—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-–

Leon's luck had been utterly shit since Raccoon City.

Everything he seemed to previously enjoy became bittersweet. He couldn't trust anyone, and the moment he felt any sort of emotional connection, they died or left. So instead of working things out, or even putting an effort into getting better, he drank his sorrows away. Drowned himself in alcohol to ease the pain of those hellish years.

Now, his luck stands to be worse somehow. Running into you was a positive for you. A negative for him. On one hand, you get healed, help, and someone to talk to. But he has to waste time and get distracted from his mission, having to worry about a stranger instead. But it wasn't your fault. No, he couldn't blame you. Not only did he have no logical reason to be angry with you, he didn't allow himself. Something about you seemed eerily familiar to him, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

Understandably so, you were still weary of him. His voice and words seemed sincere and soft. But if you were in his shoes, you'd most likely call the cops or ambulance. Despite if the person protested. You were hurt, limping, barely able to stay awake, and he was patient, helping you.

Leon held your arm around him, keeping you stable. Perhaps you relied too much on him at this moment, so you lessened the weight you leaned on that side.

You winced at the shooting pain up your leg. The injuries you sustained throughout your duration in that godforsaken place, and escaping it, all kicked in at once. The walking you had done didn't help. Blood pooled down your leg, staining your shorts. A cry of pain left your lips as your knees buckled.

"Easy, c'mon." He said lightly, watching you still trying to stand up, fighting against the pain. He moved his other arm under your legs, sweeping you up off the ground and holding you bridal style.

He was so gentle with you, his touch feather-light. A dilapidated wooden and stone house came into view. He still held onto you, before setting you down against the wall of the house. You leaned back and closed your eyes, loosing a breath you hadn't realized you were holding. Eyes closed. Everything went quiet.

You relied on your other senses.

Breathing in the oddly clear air, you felt at ease. It was warm since the rain had ceased hours ago. That warm, humid air, released the tension in your lungs, making your body calm. Even the dirt under you made things feel less complicated and tiring. The ground had dried, the soil smooth under your hands. You exhaled through your nose and messed around with the dirt. Running your fingers through it.

"Stay with me," Leon's voice snapped you out of your daze, "we're gonna get you fixed up, alright?" He was quiet, and that sense of euphoria only strengthened. Because of him.

You sent him a wary smile, a strained one. Before you could see his small smile, you dragged your eyes to the left of you. More run-down houses still stood, scattered around. Other smaller things, like animal pens, a well, gardens, and even headstones brought you a sense of unease. Something felt off. The church in the distance loomed over everything else. You shivered at the sight of it.

"Leon, something is wrong—" You were cut off by the sound of heavy steps. You stood, against Leon's pleas to take it easy. Clutching your thigh, you managed to stop the bleeding by pressing your hand deep against the wound.

"Fuck, stay behind me, yeah?" He pulled out the gun at his hip, watching you, awaiting an answer. You shook your head lightly and grabbed a small, rusty knife that was in your boot. You managed to snag it before you escaped, stabbing the men who apprehended you, trying to stop you.

"I'm going to help." You choked out, staggering towards him. He took two steps before he was right in front of you, face dangerously close, voice dangerously low. "I said to stay behind me. You are in no state to fight, your better off staying put here while I look around."

"You helped me, let me return the favor." You didn't falter, letting him know were just as serious as him. "There's no convincing you otherwise, is there?"

"Probably not."

His lips curled only slightly into a smile, amusement plastered onto his face.

He spent no longer in that spot and started looking at the trees surrounding you both, but his eyes went wide when he looked behind you. His gun raised, and you shared one glance before ducking. One second. One shot. A body hit the floor with a thud.

More people, likely the ones who sought residence in this place came at you both in a horde.

The knife in your hand slid against flesh with a disgusting noise. Blood pooled out, exposing the muscle and tissue under the grimy skin. Though one person was dead. To be fair, they all came at you and Leon with malice, discontent, and weapons. You didn't get scraped up much more than you already were. But still, pain wracked through your body.

Leon was losing more ammo, every villager that came toward him was already dead before their weapons left a mark.

Your ragged breathing was all you could hear through adrenaline.

You made your way up to where Leon was, in a clearing in the middle of all the houses and structures. Back to back, you observed the many people that were seething at the sight of you both. "Guess they're not interested in making friends." You shrugged, voice hoarse and shaking. "It would seem that way." He replied, gun raised and aimed.

"If things go south, we get separated, find me. If you can't run, or walk, scream. Okay?" He had gotten serious once more. "Same goes for you." You looked at him, he nodded.

A man with an axe walked toward you, muttering something incoherent. The blade was close to you, but you dodged. The axe was heavy, for him it seemed, hitting the ground, throwing dust and dirt in the air. But he was back on his feet within a moment. You left Leon's side and immediately felt unsafe. He was preoccupied, as were you.

He kept swinging and you moved. But then shanked him in the gut, seeing his eyes go wide, but brows furrowing. He dropped his axe to the ground and fell, holding the wound.

You grabbed the axe, taking it with no hesitation and swinging it at him. Hacking at his neck, his head flew off, with not much effort on your part. It rolled across the ground, staining the brown dirt with crimson. His blood splattered on your face, and wiping it only spread it across your skin.

Another woman, also armed with a knife, came from behind you. Without looking back, you swung your leg underneath her own, tripping her. Grabbing that knife in her hands, you lodged it in her neck, leaving it there for her to claw out.

More and more villagers came, alarming both you and Leon. So you raised the axe you'd taken, sheathing your own knife for later.

This was hell. Or it was going to be.