i.ix - CHURCH

(Unedited)—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-–

(Unedited)
—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-–

After the encounter with the dogs, Leon had been utterly silent. Usually he'd crack a shitty joke, or try and make small talk if you hadn't already, but now he was just quiet.

There was a winding path you two followed, when the large structure you figured to be the church came into view, you grabbed Leon's arm. He stopped and looked back at you, something in his eyes flashed with worry, and you frowned. "Is everything ok? You've been quiet. Well, quieter." Your voice was so soft, it made his eyes go wide for a split second.

He wasn't exactly used to people asking him if he was fine. Or picking up on wether he's been quieter than usual. If they do, they don't talk about it or mention it to him.

He realized he didn't answer. A slight shake of his head. "Everything's fine." A lie. Lair. He wondered if you'd see through it, despite his attempts to mask it. Shit. Of course you did. "Leon. Your a bad liar." Oh if only you knew.

"Well, I've had about three near death experiences in the past twenty four hours. Other than that, everything's peachy." He replied sarcastically, but immediately apologized about his tone.

"That's all you had to say." You sighed, then started walking ahead to the church, Leon following behind.

This place already gave you all the wrong vibes. You absolutely dreaded the way it loomed over you both. Since that tall, sick looking motherfucker always ends up finding you and Leon, how do you know he isn't hiding out here? But what if Ashley's in there? She was supposed to be there, but what if something already happened? Why do you have to be so pessimistic? No, not pessimistic, more like realistic.

Leon noticed your demeanor change almost instantaneously, and carefully touched your arm. "You know, it's not to late if you would rather get to a hospital or police station. Not yet. If you want to go, let me know now." He offered, to which you shrugged.

"No, your stuck with me until you find this girl. We're partners now."

"Partners?"

"Precisely."

"I don't work with people very well."

"That's going to change, then." You smiled widely at him, and took his hand before walking forward. He cracked a grin, while looking at the ground, but it faltered soon enough.

Before walking into the church, you'd looted out some dilapidated wooden house that lay beyond the gate. Leon lodged a knife into the neck of one those feral looking villagers, somehow almost getting choked out in the process.

Now came the part that rattled your nerves.

You stayed behind him a good amount while walking up the path and to the church, watching its looming presence ahead of you made you shiver in all the wrong ways. Leon had slowed down, his pace soon mirrored your own while he reached out a hand, offering even the smallest but if consolation and comfort. You took it, mindlessly intertwining your fingers until you arrived at the front gate.

Light steps drew your attention away as Leon pushed that gate open, your eyes landed on another villager stalking towards you. You raised your axe and swung it at the man's head, his body landing with a thud harshly. "You are getting scarily good at that, let's go." Leon tilted his head to the front doors of the church, and you nodded before you both jogged to the desired location a few feet ahead.

It was barred off.

"Shit!" I banged against the metal, Leon took the opportunity to call his team and explain the church was sealed up.

He seemed dead set on Ashley being there, and the place itself being dead set with traps or guards or reinforcements.

You wandered off before spotting a path on the side of the building, walking down it before calling Leon over. He ran his hands through his hair and loosed a sigh before nodding and continuing your trek.

More walking and fighting.

You stood before yet another wooden door,  it this one you could open with ease. It revealed a scenic outlook of twisted vines, dead ones albeit, but ones that contorted around trees and soon made an archway. The sky was hues of pinks and blues and purples with clouds that accented them perfectly. Your eyes had gone wide while you looked over the ledge of the cliff, staring at everything.

But you also caught sight of a boat, beckoning Leon over. He pulled out binoculars.

"Wait, wait, wait, when the hell did you have those?" You questioned, watching him look out and towards the men with utter focus it was scary. A splash made me look where he was staring, as he muttered a small 'fuck' under his breath.

"These guys aren't the friendliest I take it?" You questioned, raising a brow and looking out into the water still.

"Definitely not."

His eyes still lingered on the water, yours as well, considering it's piqued your interest far higher than the church that you soon had to endure and scale. Something was under there, the ways and bubbles told you so, but you didn't expect what was under there. Something that looked monstrous and prehistoric, it was mutated and disgusting. That was enough before it disappeared back under the water, leaving you baffled.

"Don't know what that was, but I fucking hate it." Your jaw set, looking away from the water while Leon kept observing.

Once his gaze peeled away, he walked quickly over to a rickety looking wooden platform that led downwards, likely to the lake...

"Ah yes, go towards the weird fleshy looking water monster, a wonderful idea." You tossed your hands in the air and rolled your eyes, walking lazily over to him. He walked back and practically cornered you against the harsh rock wall of the mountain. You winced at the sudden contact.

"I already said you could leave, but I have a mission to do, one that I can't get out of if I tried, you understand?" His tone was like venom, sharp and clear. Your eyes narrowed on him, and the sudden boldness it took for him to do what he'd done. You guessed he realized it too from the way he backed up and his eyes went slightly wide for a split second. He shook his head and continued over to the latter, going down without a second glance.

"Alright asshole." You muttered lowly.