nineteen

HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVE BYYOU

YOU

There you were,

Four weeks had passed since the Cullens disappeared without a trace. For the first five days, Charlotte had sent countless messages to Jasper begging him to tell her what had happened. She would stare at her phone for minutes as she waited for it to finally say 'delivered' but the notification never came, and the message never went.

For a while, Charlotte wondered what she had done wrong. Why did Jasper not feel as though she was worthy enough for a farewell? She wasn't asking for flowers and a handwritten letter, just an apology and an explanation. Did he not think she deserved that? For once in her life, Charlotte was asking for the minimum but she would never get it.

Soon the self pity turned into anger. How dare he not think she was worthy of a goodbye? April tried to reason with Charlotte as she watched her type her most cruel thoughts into a email for all the Cullens. Charlotte had used Theo's school pass to unlock the school office after hours and had searched through countless files to find the addresses. She didn't think about what she was going to write, she just wrote and wrote until she couldn't no more.

Of course, the email went undelivered but the satisfaction that came with it was more than enough.

After the first week, Charlotte was almost over the rejection and was rebuilding herself from the ghosting.

Which left her with the task of rebuilding Isabella Swan.

The Smith girl walked up the Swan driveway, black heels clicking on the door as Pluto pulled her along. Charlotte had invested in puppy training classes, however they didn't go so well. The trainer kept insisting that Pluto had 'a mind of her own'..... well obviously, she was a living breathing thing. The pair attended two classes and decided if Pluto never learnt to roll over, they'd get over it.

"Knock knock." Charlotte opened the door without actually knocking, this had been her routine for a while now. Every Saturday and Sunday, Charlotte would walk Pluto through the woods to Bella's house and keep the girl company. Charlie was usually out on a shift, every now and then he'd be there to greet Charlotte with a bacon sandwich and the two would chat while Bella wallowed upstairs.

It would be safe to say that Charlie and Charlotte spoke more than Bella and Charlotte. The Chief of police and younger girl had gotten to know each other quite well. Owen Smith seemed to always be away on business, so Charlotte had started seeking out fatherly advice from Charlie. Likewise, Bella seemed to be away a lot - even if she was in the same house - so Charlie had started to see the girl as an additional daughter.

It was hard not to when she seemed to constantly be at the Swan residence.

This Sunday however, Charlie had an earlier shift. He'd left Charlotte a note in the kitchen explaining when he'd be back and that there was a bowl of food out for Pluto, as well as some money on the counter for a takeaway.