chapter two: new years eve

December 31st,

With a sigh, Nova stared at the paper in her hand. Actually, she wanted to throw it away, but she never did. And now, three days after meeting him, she was actually considering texting him.

She didn't want to spend New Year's Eve with her family only to look pathetic at midnight, thanks to being the only single person, again.

And the person, she actually wanted to spend New Year's with, was sick. Her best friend Katie got the flu on Christmas Day, because her little sister was sick. And even worse, Nova's boyfriend Jake broke up with her two weeks ago.

Nova was making a bouquet for a customer at the flower shop, and after that she just decided to do it.

She took out her phone, saved his number and texted him,

'Hi Javier, It's Nova. From the mall.
Are you still looking for a holidate tonight?'

And only a few seconds later, she regretted texting him.
Shit, she should have written something else, right? Because that was fucking embarrassing.

Maybe she shouldn't have texted him at all. He probably already found another plus-one. And since she can close the shop at 3pm today, she could have just spent the whole night watching her favorite movies.

So she put her phone in her jeans pocket and went back to the flowers. And after just a few minutes, she felt it vibrate. She immediately took it out of her pocket again, and saw his reply.

'Hi Nova, you really made me wait a long time,
but yes, I'd still need a holidate for NYE.
Weirdly enough, nobody thinks
that's a good idea except for your aunt'

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

At 8 pm, Nova stood nervously in front of the hotel, where the rooftop party was to take place.

"Nova! Hi" she heard a familiar voice behind her. And when she turned around, Javier was standing in front of her.

"Hi, thanks again for the invite" she told him with a smile.

"Thank you for accepting" he replied with a charming grin.

Once inside, Javier went straight up the stairs. "Uh Javier, if you don't mind me asking, why did you get an invitation for this?" Nova asked as she followed him upstairs.

"Well, uh, a friend of mine was dying to spend New Year's Eve here. I think he's dating a waitress here. So we decided to all celebrate here, so he doesn't have to go alone, you know?" he replied.

"Oh okay, I see"

"Yeah, you'll get to know them soon. They're all nice, don't worry about it" he told her as he opened the door to the rooftop.

"Thank you" Nova told him while he held the door open for her.

"Come, Benny's over there" he then said and laid his arm softly on her back.

When the two arrived at a slightly younger man, he immediately began to grin.

"Javi! Hi, nice to see you" he said to Javier.

Then he turned to the woman next to him, "You must be Nova, right? Didn't think you were coming. He was talking a lot bout you but we thought he's imagining things and has gone crazy" he said with a chuckle and held out his hand to her.

"I'm Benny by the way" he added as he shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Benny" she replied with a smile.