chapter ten: halloween

October 31st,

"Why are you grinning like that?" Nova asked Javi with a smile. They stood in his living room while Nova checked her hair in the mirror.

"I'm just happy that my girlfriend is going to be the hottest person at the party. Or the whole world" he replied.

"You're always horny when you're drunk, you know that, right?"

"Yup, can't help it baby"

Nova sighed, "I don't wanna wear this costume anymore" she told him while staring at her stomach in the mirror.

"What, Why?" he asked confused, hugging his girlfriend from behind.

She immediately got nervous. She loves him and she knows she can tell him anything. But this morning she found out that she's pregnant.

They've only been a couple for a little under four months, since July 4th.

She went to the doctor this morning because she had been throwing up so often lately. And he just told her she was pregnant. In the third month. Nova couldn't believe it herself at first because she still had her period a month ago. But the doctor said that can happen and that everything is okay.

"Well, look at my stomach, it's huge. I look stupid in this croptop"

"No you don't look stupid baby, you're just a bit bloated. Don't worry" he replied and pressed a kiss on her shoulder.

Nova sighed and stared at the floor in front of her, "No Javi, I'm not bloated," she whispered.

She was afraid of how he would react. Yes, they've known each other for 10 months. But now she has to tell him that she's three months pregnant even though they have only been dating for four?

Their relationship was still kinda new and she didn't know if a pregnancy would destroy all - if Javi knew he got her pregnant in the first month of dating. But at some point she has to tell him. And better today than later, right?

"I know it's not the best thing to tell you when you're drunk. But I only found out this morning. And I don't wanna do this alone" she whispered.

Nova saw his face grow pale. Did he know what she was going to say?

"What's going on?" he asked nervously.

"I'm pregnant" she whispered.

Javier stared at her in surprise, "Wha— Really?"

"Yeah" she replied. She didn't know if he was positively or negatively surprised. And when he still didn't talk after a few seconds, Nova slowly despaired, "Please say something, Javier" she begged.

He put his hand in front of his mouth and closed his eyes, "I just need a moment"

He sat down on the sofa and Nova stood in the middle of the room, a bit overwhelmed.

And when he didn't say anything, Nova started to cry. She put her hands over her eyes and couldn't help but sob loudly.

"Shit Nova I'm sorry, come here baby" he told her softly and held out his arm. After a moment's hesitation, she took his hand and walked over to him. He sat her on her lap and hugged her tightly.

"We're going to be parents? Have our own family?" he asked calmly.

Nova looked at him hopefully with big eyes, "If you won't break up with me"

"What? Of course I won't break up with you. I love you Nova" he told her honestly and Nova felt her heart skip a beat.

That was the first time either of them had said it out loud.

"I love you, Javi" she replied and started crying even more.

"No please don't cry baby, everything's going to be okay. We're gonna have a baby" he told her with a smile and put his head on her shoulder.

"I thought you weren't happy," she said honestly.

"I'm so sorry I reacted that way. You just really shocked me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, I'm not even kidding"

Nova chuckled lightly and wiped away tears.

"May I see your belly?"

"Of course" she mumbled, lifted her top and he carefully put his hands on her stomach, "How far along are you?"

"Uhm, three months" she replied while he gently stroked her stomach.

He looked up to her in surprise, "Really?"

"Yeah, I didn't want to believe the doctor either" she told him with a chuckle.

He lifted her from her lap and carefully placed her on the sofa in front of him. Then he knelt on the ground and put his arms on her thighs.

"I thought it was already too late for me. I never thought that I would still be able to experience this, you know?" he said and laid his head in her lap.

Nova started stroking his hair. "Thank you Nova, for everything. I'm so lucky to have you" he whispered and Nova heard from his voice that he was crying a little.

She couldn't hold back her emotions anymore and started crying immediately, again.

"Shit I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad" he mumbled, wiping away his own tears.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

"We're having a baby" Javi proudly told his friends.

"You— what?" Steve asked surprised and almost spat out his drink.

"Oh my god, no way!" Connie exclaimed excitedly at the same time.

"Yeah, I still can't believe it myself, she just found out this morning"

"I guess that's why she isn't wearing a costume?" Benny asked with a chuckle. Javi looked over at Nova who was talking to her best friend Katie. And Nova wore normal jeans and one of Frankie's hoodie, instead of her costume.

"Yes, she said she's not comfortable showing her stomach"

"She's already showing?" Benny asked in surprise.

"How far along is she?" Connie asked curiously.

"Well, uh, three months"

Benny let out a chuckle, "You knocked her up in the first month of dating? Good job"

Steve slapped him lightly on the shoulder, "Hey!"

"No, no it's okay. It wasn't planned. But I'm happy. Like really fucking happy" Javi told them honestly.

Steve walked up to Javi and hugged him, "I'm so happy for you"

"Thank you" Javier replied and a few seconds later Connie and Benny joined them and they all hugged him.

"Sooo, Javi, once it's out, can I borrow your baby to go for walks and pick up women? Apparently that fucking works" Benny asked with a smirk.

"You're so stupid" Steve told him, laughing.

And on the other side of the room, Nova was having a similar conversation with her best friend Katie.

"You're what?" Katie asked in shock.

"Yeah I know. I guess we weren't that careful" Nova said a little embarrassed.

"Holy Shit, you're gonna have baby!" she exclaimed excitedly.

Nova chuckled and put her hand on her stomach.

"I knew it from the start. You remember when we talked on St. Patrick's Day? I told you you loved him and you didn't believe me" Katie said with a grin.

"Yeah I know"

"So I have the right to be godmother and maid of honor?"

"Of course you're going to be the godmother, but we're not engaged Katie" she replied with a chuckle.

"Well, I'll give you a few more months and then you'll definitely get married. I mean, look at the way he's looking at you"

Nova turned in Javier's direction and instantly locked eyes. He smiled softly and she felt her cheeks blush, "Yeah maybe"