chapter twelve: christmas

December 25th,

Nova stood in front of the Christmas tree in his living room, wearing his hoodie and sweatpants.

"Javi, can you help me?" she asked, holding out the star.

"Sure," he replied and carefully picked her up so she could put the star on the top of the christmas tree herself.

"Thank you" she told him while he carefully placed her back on the floor. She proudly looked at the decorated tree when she saw a wrapped package lying underneath.

"What's that?" Nova asked confused.

Nova and Javi had actually agreed that they wouldn't get each other presents. But she knew that both of them had gotten a present anyway. But they didn't want to give it to each other until tomorrow.

"Well, your mother brought it over yesterday."

"My mother was here?" Nova asked confused, and a bit shocked.

"Yeah, she told me it's for you"

Nova just rolled her eyes, "I don't care" she said and went into the kitchen to get some chocolate.

As she opened the chocolate, he also entered the kitchen and hugged her from behind. He put his hands on her stomach, rested his chin on her shoulder and closed his eyes, "She's your mother, don't be like that"

"You forgot what she said about us?" Nova asked a bit stunned.

"No, but you shouldn't be that mad at her"

She let out a sarcastic laugh, "If there's no apology in there then I don't care" she said honestly.

"Just open it, okay?"

Nova sighed, "I just wanna eat chocolate in peace"

"Okay, okay just wait here" he told her and left the kitchen again. And a few seconds later he came back and put the present on the counter.

Annoyed, Nova put the chocolate aside and opened the package.

"What is it?" he asked curiously as Nova stared at a baby romper and a letter. She showed him the romper and then opened the letter.

'Dear Nova,
I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have acted like that.
Please forgive me.
I am very happy to have another grandkid
and ask you not to exclude me from your life.
I overreacted, your brother told me
how badly I behaved,
he talked to me the second you left the house.
I tried to call you but you ignored me -
and now it's been a month.
I'm deeply sorry and I regret the way I acted.
And if you don't want to get married yet,
I accept it. It's your decision.
I love you, Ma'

With tears in her eyes, she put the letter on the counter. Maybe it was the hormones, but Nova still wasn't sure if she wanted to forgive her.

"Is everything okay?"

She just handed the letter to him without saying anything.

A short time later he also put the letter down again. "It's entirely your choice, but you know, I'd like you to be my wife. Not because your mother wants it, but because I love you."

Nova stayed silent for a few seconds, "I don't wanna get married while I'm pregnant. I wanna have a nice dress and drink champagne" she whispered with a weak smile.

"And that's okay baby, I'll wait until you're ready, alright?"

4 months later

"Are you okay?" Javier asked softly, kneeling on the floor next to the bed.

Nova nodded and sat up carefully with her daughter in her arms. "We still need a name," she murmured with a weak smile.

"I know baby, don't worry about it right now" Javi replied and gently stroked Nova's arm. His other hand rested carefully on their daughter's hand.

"But they said she was supposed to be a boy, right?" she asked with closed eyes.

"Yes, they said it's going to be a boy, but they were wrong. We'll think about a name later, okay? You're tired and the painkillers are still having a strong effect, the doctor said you need to rest"

Nova got stronger painkillers, because she gave birth earlier than expected. The due date was April 10th, but today -eight days earlier- the small family was already sitting in the hospital room together.

So Nova closed her eyes, but just a few seconds later she opened them again. She looked at her boyfriend with wide eyes, "Oh my god. I'm so sorry I forgot, Happy Birthday Javi"

He chuckled softly, "Thank you"

"So how does it feel that your child's birthday is on the same day as yours?" she asked tiredly.

"Well, uh, I don't wanna sound too cheesy, but I guess he's the best gift I could get" Javier replied honestly.

A week later they were back home. Nova has now moved in with Javier, and on a friday evening they were sitting on the sofa with their daughter.

Their daughter slept on her blanket between Javi and Nova while they both stared at her.

"She's so cute," Nova whispered with a smile.

"Yeah, she looks so much like you" him replied.

"You think so? I think she has your eyes." Nova said while he placed his hand on hers.

Javier smiled slightly and then looked nervously at his girlfriend, "I wanted to talk to you"

"Uh okay, is something wrong?" she asked back, immediately worried.

"No, no don't worry. It's just, I know you wanted to wait and not let your mother stress you out. But you said you wanted to wait until you're no longer pregnant" he began.

Nova took a deep breath and noticed how her heart started beating faster, "You want to get married?" she asked excitedly.

Javier chuckled softly, "Yeah, but I wanted to ask you, to make it more romantic, you know?"

"Oh, Oh my god, yeah sorry of course" she whispered, trying to hold back her tears.

"Well I uh, I actually prepared what to say, but shit, I'm afraid I'll fuck this up, I—"

Nova interrupted him, she didn't want him to be that nervous.

"It's okay. I'd really like to marry you. No matter what you'd say or how you'd ask me"

"Really?" he asked relived.

"Of course. I love you, Javi. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you and our daughter"

"I love you too, Nova. You're the best thing that ever happened to me"

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Yes, I know, the daughter doesn't have a name, I didn't know which one to choose. If you have any good suggestions, please comment and maybe I'll add name! :)

But I'm still happy that so many have read, voted and commented on this fic. I really enjoyed writing this short fluffy story, hope you did too!

I will now focus on my other Pedro fics, feel free to check them out if you're interested! <3