chapter nine: 4th of july

July 4th,

Nova wasn't looking forward to today, really not at all. First of all, she had been sick in bed for three days. And secondly, she didn't want it to be a holiday again because she was mad at Javi. Like really mad.

Nova missed him very much. Already the day after mother's day she thought about texting him. But when she saw that he had left his sweater in her apartment, she decided to bring it over this house. So she had an excuse to see him again.

But just as she was standing in front of his house and about to ring, she looked through the window and saw that he was sitting on the couch with a woman and had his arm around her.

So she hung the sweater on the door handle, turned around and left again. Nova didn't realize that this woman was crying and Javi was comforting her, but she just wanted to leave.
Because she didn't want to disturb them.

And she hasn't spoken to him since that day. Maybe she was overdramatic and overthinking, but she knew that Javi is very charming and has always had many women in his bed.

And now, on July 4th, she was sick and binge-watching her favorite series in her bed. Actually, she would have gone to a party with him and his friends today. His best friend, Steve, had a house by the lake with his wife and invited everyone.

But Nova texted Steve, he gave her his number on St. Patrick's Day, and told him that unfortunately she won't be able to come because she's sick.

At 4 pm, Javier stood nervously at her door. Steve had told him that Nova had canceled because she was sick. And Javi was a little worried since she hadn't texted him at all. In fact, she hadn't texted him for weeks. Since the day she left his sweater on his patio.

He thought that maybe she needed some space. But now he was only worried that she might not want to see him ever again.

So he took a deep breath and then pressed the button next to her name.

A few floors up, Nova looked up from her laptop in confusion. After getting up, she picked up the blanket and wrapped it around her shoulders.

When she pressed the button next to her front door and heard his voice, her heart immediately started beating faster.

"Uhm, Hi" she replied.

"Can I come up?"

"Well, uh, I'm sick. So that might not be a good idea"

"Please, Nova"

She sighed, "I told Steve I'm staying home. You can't change my mind, Javi. I'm sick, like for real. It's not an excuse"

"I know. But I'd like to know why you didn't let me know?"

"I will not discuss this over the intercom"

"Then let me up"

She closed her eyes for a second and rubbed her temples, "Fine. But you can't stay for long"

And so he entered her apartment two minutes later.

"Oh wow, you look —" he started, but Nova interrupted him.

"Like shit? Yeah I know" she replied with a weak grin.

"No, that's not what I wanted to say"

"Yeah, uh, so you wanted to talk to me?" she changed the topic.

He nodded, "Can we sit down for a moment?"

"I don't know, I don't want you to get sick"

"Really? That's the reason? I rather think you're mad at me, or you don't wanna see me anymore"