The Children

Atsushi nervously walked towards the Port Mafia base after making sure nobody was following after all, if the Armed Detective Agency got the whiff of where he was going, it would be hard to explain.

He couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was following him, making him jumpy.

After arriving at the base of the mafia, he couldn't help but feel anxious after all he could be walking straight into the enemy's trap for all he knew.

He came across a ginger head that seemed so familiar but he ignored the thoughts and greeted him.

"Hello..."

"The person boss said will come?"

"That's right!"

Chuuya looked at him suspiciously but led the way, Atsushi followed along and tried his best to hide from the looks of the other people.

If word got out he was in a place that he should not have been, he could be in deep trouble and maybe even get kicked out by the agency.

They didn't talk to each other again for a while, the other didn't even ask for his name. Probably didn't have to.

He was led to a door, Chuuya knocked respectively before opening the door. 

"Boss, I received the guest that you were expecting" he bowed deeply before leaving the room.

Atsushi stood awkwardly and looked towards the man, a little girl was beside him.

"Why did you come back, I thought you left for good..." the girl said while having a sad expression.

"I want answers" he explained and kept his face blank.

....................................................................................

He woke up and looked around. It was Chuuya's apartment, the same one that he slept in.

Thinking about the dream, he walked towards the bathroom to see his reflection. What Mori had said to him was still clear, whispering silently in his ears as if to remind him.

After washing his face with cold water, he felt a bit refreshed. 

A creak came behind him which made him realise that he didn't lock the door.

"You look troubled...." the other worriedly looked, as if to ask for an answer.

"Really? Well..... I had a dream"

Chuuya just nodded and went out, not wanting to make him uncomfortable.

Atsushi left after saying goodbye, thanking the other before walking to the park.

..................................................................................

He sat on the bench at the park and watched the children play, they looked happy and the way typical children should be, laughing, having fun, naive about the cruelty that the world brings, only knowing the shelter their parents gave them.

A girl came up to him and the other 4 boys followed.

She gave him an innocent smile and asked if he wanted to play with them, the other crowded around him.

"You looked so lonely" she answered.

Her dress fluttered when the wind blew he reluctantly agreed to the request, he didn't want her to cry.

She showed him a picture that she drew of a little cat and pink flowers. Atsushi complimented her since he couldn't think of anything else to say. Shinji just asked him to read a picture book with him, they were quiet and easy to get along with.

There was another child called Kosuke, he was playful and tried to knock him out when they were playing tip. Very fast and not someone who would easily back down, he found it cute in a way.

Katsumi kept nagging him to play soccer and Yu joined shortly after giving up on his video game.

They told him that they were once orphans who this kind man had taken in, he looked back at the past and how he was once like that too. 

"Mori has a funny personality but can be strict sometimes, always focusing on his work" he complained to them.

They laughed and made jokes. Sakura told him that this 'Mori' seemed like someone nice. If only she knew who he was...

Soon the sun had set before they realized and it was time for them to go home, Katsumi looked at Atsushi with worry, he didn't want to leave a child younger than himself by themselves when its almost night.

His 'father' had told him about the dangers of the night and not to venture out without an adult supervisor.

"Do you want to come with us?" Yu asked first and stared expectedly at the younger.

"Really? Thank you!" the gray-haired boy said with twinkling eyes.

They arrived at a house after walking for some time.

The door opened for them and Atsushi saw a familiar face that he saw a day before.

............................................................................

Oda and Dazai arrived at his house The bandaged man complained about how the children were nothing but a bunch of brats.

"What's so good about taking in those brats! All they do is cry and winge, they can't even follow orders properly!"

He kept quiet and unlocked the door, no sounds were heard unless they would try and ambush him again.

"They aren't here... It's weird for them to come home so late"

Dazai just scoffed and waited with the other because he had nothing better to do, he had already listed why he hated those brats so much.

A laugh was heard outside and the 5 children showed up along with an extra that they were familiar with.

"What are you doing here?" Dazai frowned, not covering up his displeasure.

The children looked at him weirdly before going to Atsushi.

"Ignore him!"

"That's right! You shouldn't listen to that person!"

"He seems to hate you"

They whispered and it wasn't even quite at all.

.......................................................................

They sat at the dinner table, they were served with curry and rice. Everyone was quiet as they ate and it was quite relaxing.

"So... How was your day?" Oda asked to ease the awkwardness.

"It was good, playing with someone new was fun" Kosuke spoke and continued to eat.

"I was with these people because I coincidently met them at the park, they insisted on playing with me"

Atsushi spoke honestly, showing his innocent smile that brightened up the whole room if everyone wasn't mistaken.

"Coincidence?" Dazai scoffed "I don't believe in that"

He ignored the other, there was no point in arguing if one doesn't want to be convinced, it would make everything more chaotic. He shouldn't cause trouble at the guest's house.

...............................................................

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait, I was busy lately so I didn't get to update.